Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

The expansion!

ribbit32004
15 years ago

Last night, the man and I went ahead and built the new boxes for my Spring expansion. This morning I skinned them and put them outside. It was a lot of fun and I feel accomplished. Now I want to plant things!!! I've heard you can plant peas here in January, but we've still got many freezes left at that time and I'm not too sure on that.

Anyway, tell me, candidly of course, what you think. No, I know it won't get the optimal sun with the huge oak looming over the area, but it's what I've got. That, and I know some of the boxes will shade out others so I'm putting larger, taller plants in back. Better a garden than no garden at all, right?

Then, I've two more boxes to stack on top of the other two boxes already in use to make them taller for carrots/potatoes etc. Those will go on as soon as I get the heart to rip out the sad looking cabbage and brussles. The dill came out last week as it turned brown with the frost (sorry, Granny...it never bloomed). I don't think the cabbage/brussles will ever be at an edible stage, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something instead of wishing the days away.

SO! Long story short. The towered boxes will be about 16" in heighth and the new ones are 12". Yes, I know it's a lot deeper than necessary, but it makes me feel better. I went ahead and lay them now being that as you can see I only had weed block and not landscaper's fabric so it won't drain as it is. I need to kill off what's below and then make some larger holes in the weed block come February before I fill them. We're also expecting hard rains on Wednesday so I can see how they drain...or not.

Let me know what you think!

View from deck

View from the ground although it's not much different

Vladimir and Gibson....the ones that help me with the "watering"...yes, Gibson, the Great Dane, is the nemesis that was eating my tomato plant. One of them has already seen fit to drop a load in one of the boxes.

Comments (8)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I'm loving it! There are a lot of plants that will take to the partial shade, especially through the hot summer. I like the depth of the boxes, I never did trust 6" of soil. I do think you'll want to poke a LOT of drainage holes once the vegetation under them is toast. I REALLY like the two helpers. Gibson is only trying to help. He doesn't realize his poo is "cold" and not good for the garden :-) Both dogs are gorgeous!

I can live without the dill. Thank you for the offer, anyway.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

ribbit - your boxes look very good! I hope they do well for you, even if partially shaded. You'll never know until you try! Good luck with everything.....

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Beautiful boxes and dogs! Well done. And I went 16 inches standard for my boxes for the same reason you did. I like that you can flex to 16 when you need to. Carrots shouldn't need more than 12, but potatoes could be hilled higher for sure.

Excellent work! Congratulate the man for me. He did a good thing!

And I agree, try plants there. If they don't work, you'll find out. I think you'll be surprised.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

They look great, imho. I like the higher boxes anyway. If you want more depth you can add it. I think it's harder to do the highrise thing than it is to let the soil lay lower than the top of the box.

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

The boxes look great! With our GA summers, those plants will be happy for a bit of shade...

• jbest123
    15 years ago

I always go by a general rule that, the larger the leaf, relevant to the plant size, the more tolerant of shade. Something like cabbage or lettuce will tolerate some shade better than onions or garlic.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words! We'll see how everything goes.

I do think I'm a bit pleased and surprised at the skin I used. I didn't think it would drain well since it was weed block and not landscaper's fabric, but we've had some intense rain the last few days and it's completely drained. There's no standing water or accumulation anywhere, not even in the depressions. I may not have to be so destructive when I bust some larger holes in it come February.

Alright, EG, if you read this help me out. There's no chance in this world my cabbage is going to head this year. Yours? I just can't bring myself to tear it up when I don't really need the beds for anything else at this moment. What's going on with yours?

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

ribbit - If you aren't going to plant again until spring, i'd leave them in place. They will probably overwinter, and I might leave some of mine, as well. Since I've got 19 plants, i'm thinking about pulling the smaller ones now, then seeing if the larger ones will mature over the next 8 weeks. That's when they're gonna have to be pulled, regardless - because the new transplants should be ready for the garden at that time.

EG

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022