Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecitychicken

Picture of my raised beds from yesterday

thecitychicken
15 years ago

We live near Portland, Oregon . . . a place that is getting the most snow its had in 40 years. . . . so here's a pic of my raised beds taken on Xmas day . . . can't even see them!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

• jbest123
    15 years ago

All I can say is, better you than me. ;o)

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

You know, we've tossed around the idea of selling our winter home here in AZ and staying home in Washington. Then I see photos like this (and Sinfonian's) and think I must be out of my cotton picking mind! But most years we get little or no snow at all.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• carolynp
    15 years ago

We're just south of Portland, well, quite a bit south, and our area looked that way, too. Have you guys lost electric or anything?

• thecitychicken
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This whole two weeks of snowy mess we only lost power twice. The day before xmas, in two one-hour blocks. I have been so surprised that it hasn't been out more.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

do ya'll buy generator's up that way? we finally bought last year and we didn't lose electricity since. WOO HOO!! this year will tell. so far its been our good luck charm ;') ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Hey CityChicken! I remember you from when I first started coming here. I've loved your garden since I saw it on the PNW forum.

True enough, my beds look very much like yours, but mine have hoop covers over them, so all the snow's on them, not my plants. Here's hoping the veggies are surviving the cold and lack of my watering them. Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up a lot so I'll try to water then.

And yes, we're getting record levels here too. I can't ever remember getting a foot of accumulation here. Supposedly it's been over 50 years, so yeah, that dates me. My kids love it though, I hate driving in it, but have quite a bit. Hope I'm not wrecking the van.

And Granny, I can't see you spending your time in Eastern Washington all winter. It gets REALLY cold there.

Thanks for sharing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'll post a couple of pics later! It was quite lovely. Hubby got up on Wednesday before he went to work and shoveled out the driveway for me. I married well, lol. Chains on both vehicles, and I worry they're messing them up, too, Sinf.

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I here ya! Same here as far as record setting snow since 1950! The state was declared a state of emergency...well you know that LOL! Woke up this morning to 5+ foot snow drifts!

Vera

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Amazing. I've never seen that much snow before!!

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Oh my Vera, that is insane. We've got 3 foot snow plow mounds but that is a ton of snowfall. Of course Eastern Washington gets tons more snow than we do on the coast.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

My goodness!! of course i hear/see ya'll talking about that and i just think about when we were little and al we wanted was snow so we could just go out and make snow forts and just have fun in them!! snow fights its just great! now that we're all adults, i think, i pray that a branch doesn't break and break a electricity line and we'll be out of power because even though i have a generator, it's never been ran, and i know that it takes them forever to get out this way!!
    OMGoodness i have to see if i can post a movie thing of the kids playing "dolls" Hee Hee, tabor is playing dolls with talla, OMG its so funny!!
    but we are just now starting to get the snow on top of the ice, its kinda freaky. Thank goodness i don't have to drive in that. but hubs does. :'( ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

We have not had a lot of snow yet this year, usually we get it starting to add up about the 3rd week in January. We have had so much rain and stormy weather this fall. Worst in 5 years but temperature has been higher than usual.

It rained 20mm of rain on Christmas day which washed away most of the snow. I have only had to snow blow once this year.

Fenced Square Foot Garden Taken December 26th

Creek Garden on December 26th

Quote: Amazing. I've never seen that much snow before!!

Naw , that is just a light dusting. Every year for the last 5 years at some point my driveway has looked like this!

My poor snow blower struggles to get the snow up top of the banks.

{{gwi:304110}}

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm