Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

My tentative 2009 RBG

jbest123
15 years ago

My tentative 2009 RBG planting and predicted yield. If MN cooperates I may exceed these numbers, if she does not then I may fall short. Regardless it will be enough for the year for two "grey beards". MN will determine how much I have to give away.

John

Vegetable Predicted Yield

Salad Greens ?????

Raven Squash (Zucchini) Many

Big Beef Tomatoes Indeterminate

Snow Crown Cauliflower 12 #

Black Beauty Eggplant 18-24 Fruits

Big Dipper 18-24 Fruits

Yellow Ebenezer Onions 80 2 ½"-3" Onions

Wakefield Cabbage 16# - 24#

Bonanza Broccoli 8# - 10#

Porto Rico Sweet Potato 36-48 Tubers

Purple Passion Asparagus 0, 1st Year

Potatoes 96# - 128#

Butterbush Squash 96# - 120#

{{gwi:1289729}}{{gwi:1289731}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Comments (13)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

John - I've never heard of most of those varieites....I'd be real interested in seeing pics of everything next summer.

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that looks pretty good!@! i notice that you have purple passion asparagus, do they taste good? that's what i have, but i haven't gotten to taste them yet. i also notice that you like color!! that is so cool!! i really do love color in the garden, i don't like all the "red" tomato's, so i've been trying to find tasty any color but yellow orange or red. lOL
    anything but the "norm" :') of course, you do know, my hubs thinks i am.......yep!! NUTS!! and my son says i'm a dork!! but i notice they don't gripe when they are eating. LOL next year, we try potato's!! i have to get on to doing that!! for real!! LOL **big grinn** ~Medo

p.s. John, how do you get your link to stay there all the time? or do you just put it up there every time??

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

WOW! John, it looks like you're really enjoying that program! Everything looks great!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

It looks really neat John. Are you growing asparagus from crowns or from seeds? I notice you have 16 plants in your planter that is 40"x15', how do you space those? How does that work for you typically? I'll go back and read your blog, but I'm wondering about your vertical growth.

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Medontdo, the purple passion asparagus is supposed to have the best flavor of all the asparagus. I have to manually enter the link to my journal each time.:o(

Carolynp, hey at 70 years young, I am going for 2 year old crowns, like George says, I donÂt buy any green bananas either.:o) The Butterbush squash is a shorter vine type and there is a 4Â cyclone fence I hope to vine them on.

John

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Heh, John, my great aunt, who was a gardener much like yourself just passed away at 89. Her mother lived to 94. You have 20 years ahead of you, easy...

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carolynp, I forgot the spacing question. I will plant one plant in a 20Â X 20" square app. My spacing worked great for me before I converted to RBGing and I am reluctant as all get out to change. Not to change in general but the plant spacing thing.

John

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carolynp, I think the only thing that would end my life early, would be trying to keep up with Granny.;o)

John

• carolynp
    15 years ago

ROFL John!!! Totally hear you at this end.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I can't hardly keep up with myself today! After watering my pitiful "garden", I dragged out the carpet shampooer and vacuumed the living room carpet and shampooed it, took down the mini blinds (5) and washed them all in the bathtub, then dried and rehung them after washing the 5 windows inside and out, took down the drapes, washed and hung them out to dry, moved all the furniture back and polished the wood pieces, packed away most of the decor and got out the Christmas stuff. Still have to get out the rest of the Christmas decorations, then see if I can find my kitchen before dinner time! It's hiding under the cleaning rags, carpet shampoo bottles, Windex, etc. I have to hurry, because I go out to play cards at 6:30!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

You folks put us youg whipersnappers to shame! I only hope I'm that young in my retirement years! Truly inspirational!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

That's alot of work, Granny. Playing cards tonight, eh? Make sure you don't keep my little box out too late. Hee Hee

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

OHHHmy goodness!! ok i think i have it figured out, so if i could get and manufacture my kids's energy and granny';s then we could be millionair's!! **big grinn** LOL
    but ya know, my dad is like 60 something and when he goes on mission trips to help build church's in panama and such they all say the same thing, i wish we could keep up with you mike!! you put us to shame!! and we're half your age, and of course some of them are even younger than that!. LOL
    HECK he wore the kids out last winter when we all went to kc for the day, and believe me, that....does NOT happen!Q! those kids just do not get wore out!! LOL ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grin** :'}

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm