Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised cedar beds- does the wood have to be dried?

Posted by sgclarke 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 20, 10 at 17:53

Hello everyone-

I may be able to get cedar for raised bed fairly cheap, but it would be fresh from a sawmill instead of dried. They have 8 foot long lengths that are 6" or 12" wide, and either 1" or 2" thick.

I'm planning a raised bed that is 8 feet long by 4 feet wide, and I'll brace it along the side.

So, If I don't wait for it to dry, will it bow more? and would you rather have a 12" deep or a 6" deep garden ( i'm thinkg 12")
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised cedar beds- does the wood have to be dried?

• Posted by chudak 10 San Diego (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 20, 10 at 18:37

The first beds I built were 8" and I used pine.

When I remodeled my backyard this summer I redid all my raised beds and this time I used redwood. I opted for 12" beds even though they are on dirt. I just like having a deeper bed even though SFG tells you that you can grow things fine in half that much dirt.

Regarding wet/dry...the biggest problem I think you'll have is your fasteners. As the wood dries it will shrink and your fasteners may become loose.

o

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about fasteners coming loose.

o

Don't know what area of the country you're in, but if you have a couple months before planting time, why not put the boards in your garage or basement and let them dry a bit before making the beds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here