Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory Forum

Posted by ronnie17 z6 PA. (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 8:37

How about a Morning Glory forum? Would anybody be interested? I think it would be a great place to visit!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory Forum

Wow, I think it would be the GREATEST!!!!! How can I vote more than once? :) arum

o

I think that would be a great addition. I've become almost obsessed with flowering vines, especially morning glories, over the past year.
Karyn

o

I love morning glories -- but, isn't that what the Vines forum is for?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines

o

Yes, you can discuss MG's on the vine forum, but if MG"s had their own personal forum, we might stimulate more interest in discussing and growing MG's specifically, and more inthusiasm in general. :) Arum

o

Yes like Arum said there can be more room for discussion. There are other forums that are plant specific such as the passiflora and clematis forum.

o

Lets have a Morning Glory forum!!!!! :)

o

Here are some of the recent posts on morning glories from the Annuals forum, which is an excellent place to discuss them.

A separate forum on this limited subject is unlikely to generate as many views and responses per post, since there are many gardeners like me with a general interest in annuals, but who are probably not going to be interested in visiting a morning glory forum.

Subdividing forums gets to be counterproductive after a certain point. There are forums on this site that are lucky if someone posts every three weeks.

o

I like the idea of a Morning Glory forum.

o

That would be Great!

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 22:19

I would cavort frequently in a MG forum!

Joseph

o

Yes yes yes!

Now if we could also get a poppy forum going...

amanda 'romando'

o

Man O Day, WHO wouldn't LOVE to discuss MG's? I would! Also,I know that on the vine forum there are some folks who are simply ga ga over MG's and would be faithful posters. :) arum

o

Subdividing forums gets to be counterproductive after a certain point. There are forums on this site that are lucky if someone posts every three weeks.

You got a good point there.

o

I don't know, you may be right. Still, I know that on a certain forum,it's very successful, and I don't see why it couldn't work here. I would support it. MG inthusiast are quite common. :) arum

o

Postings about morning glories are scattered in a number of forums. The most common locations appear to be Vines, Annuals, Cottage Gardens, Balcony Gardening, Winter Sowing, Seed Saving, Heirloom, and (!) Weeds. In addition, there are postings in a number of regional forums.

Morning glories used to be considered tacky low class vines of interest only to semi-literate old ladies in the South, or to a parent teaching young children about gardening. No serious gardener with any sense of style would consider growing them. This has changed in the last few years, with the craze for Japanese morning glories and the reintroduction of heirloom varieties into the trade. A search of E-bay will turn up hundreds of varieties being offered for sale; my guess is that many of them will be listed in major catalogues within a few years.

Because morning glories are currently a hot item in garden circles, and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, a separate forum is defiantly called for.

o

musarojo, yes, your are right. We have no choice but to post here and there concerning MG's, because we don't have a separate discussion forum for them. I'm one of the ones who use to think that there were just a few varieties of them, wasn't that interested, until I joined GW, and saw all the beautiful ones that I couldn't wait to grow! Some folks have been very generous, and I now have a good selection. Now to just figure out how to post them. :) arum

o

there seems to be such renewed interest in morning glories over the past few years. the varieties that are now available from around the world make it a complex hobby now. I think it deserves it's own forum like clematis.

o

Well, the more we talk up MG's the more chance we have of aquiring and sharing the really special ones. It's so exciting to out in you garden each morning to see the bloom that has unfurled from the night before! It's like getting a surprise gift every day! :)

o

A MG forum is a great idea!

o
Garden Nwebie

I am new to the garden and I am trying to grow both morning glory and moonflower. I do realize this blog is on MG's but I think I might have read some where that they are similar in some aspect. So please forgive my moonflower question (as I am also new to blogs) anyhow I was chipping the seeds so that I can soak them and I am not able to chip the moonflower seeds, would it be wrong to soak them overnight and then chip them?? WIll this disturb anything? When chipping a seed how deep should the cut be? Thanks for any and all help!

o

I am all for a morning glory forum. This is my first year planning to plant them.

My plan is to plant them and train them up into a few (wild)bushes that border my bed. My yard is basically cleared woods. I think the plants edging my woods are honeysuckle bushes... After they bloom I figure I'll have flowers still with the morning glories.

Also thinking of using clematis and some orange honeysuckle vines.

o

I might post or respond to a posting abut morning glories in Annuals or Vines, where the subject is most likely to come up. I wouldn't frequent a superspecialized MG forum.

o

There is that other garden site that has a morning glory forum. Its a very active forum with dozens of new messages per day. I lurk there frequently but have only posted to one thread. Their MG forum isnt one of the ones open to the general public, so a morning glory forum at GardenWeb would not be competing for the same posters. Just a thought.

o

I support a Forum devoted to Morning Glories which would most likely be visited by people who are the most interested in Morning Glories...

Those persons who may so choose or refuse to visit the MG forum simply because there is one will not learn what will be shared in the MG forum >which is especially(!) devoted to MG enthusiasts...

I also enjoy membership at the 'other' Major Gardening Site where there IS a forum devoted to Morning Glories and where people post daily all year round...
The MG forum at DavesGarden is a paid subscription venue and I find that the yearly subscription is well worth the information and contacts that I make to further my lifelong enjoyment of the Morning Glory Family of Convolvulaceae...

It's very convenient to be able to post photos directly to the gardening site without the need to have provide 'links' to photos hosted by a different off-site location...

It's no secret that there was a mass migration of many of the serious/knowledgeable gardeners from this site to DavesGarden and there are many reasons why...some of the reasons are to be found in this thread...

Sometimes you get exactly what you(are willing to)pay for...or even put up with >as far as limitations...

Good Luck(!)...

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum Devoted Exclusively to Morning Glories

o

I dont understand why a Morning Glory Forum isnt considered viable, yet there are forums for Dried Flowers, Impatiens and (the most bizarre for a garden site) Hot Topics. Dried flowers are tacky and ugly, but I dont begrudge other people the right to discuss their bad taste in home decoration. Impatiens are annuals that I found useful for areas of deep shade before I moved to the desert where they are next to impossible to grow. I like them, but an entire forum?

And then there is Hot Topics. What this has to do with gardening I dont know. A quick survey revealed threads about UFO aliens, Catholic bashing, Evangelical bashing, Pat Tillmans death, Iraq, and other non-gardening topics. I lurk at Beliefnet on the discussion forum for my religion and may join in someday, but the idea of pushing my religion or knocking other peoples beliefs on a garden site just doesnt work for me. As for politics, there are many sites devoted to that.

My point is, there are thousands of species and cultivars of morning glory and the subject is at least as worthy of a forum as impatiens and dead flowers. It is far more worthy than a forum with rants about religion, politics, gray aliens, and Illuminati conspiracies.

o

Maybe if we appealed to ivillage, we could have a MG forum? It would be great to discuss MG's only with fellow MG lovers on the G.Web! :) Arum

o

Well I sent them an email. We will wait to see....

o

Why wouldn't you just use the Annuals or Vines forums? You could still have your threads just about MGs but I'm sure the readers of those forums would benefit from your knowledge and insight too. Just adopt one or the other of those forums and agree to hold your discussions there. Seems easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here