Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are em addies shown on member pages??

Posted by aka_peggy Md6b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 8:47

I'd prefer that my email address not be seen. I checked other peoples member pages and I can see theirs as well.

That explains why I've recieved spam from people who found me on this site.

I will reluctantly remove the em option from my member page today which makes me sad because I trade seeds.

That's a shame as this didn't use to be the case.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are em addies shown on member pages??

Peggy,

If you want to trade seeds, but don't want anyone to see your addy there is a way.

Choose Show my addy to no one, but check the box to receive email via the GW email form. That way your email will not be shown.

One thing to remember though, is if you reply to someone's trade thread, and they get a follow up email of your reply, it will not show them your addy, thus they will not be able to reply to it. You will need to email them additionally about trading, or they will need to go back to the thread, find you and your reply, and then reply from there. Some members won't go to the trouble of doing that if members have their addy 'blocked'.

Sue

o

Sue, I did check the box that my email addie not be seen but it still shows. I'm curious, did you? Because I can see yours when I click onto; "send me an email."

I tried several different ones and everyone that has the option "send me an email" has their email addie in plain view.

Look for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yours (and mine)

o
RE: Why are em addies shown on member pages?????????

Sue, just to make my point I just went over and changed the options.
(the x replaces a check since my keyboard doesn't have a check)

*ps, I just noticed that "forums" is mispelled* LOL!

o

One more point. I sent gardenweb a message on the 21st asking them about this issue. I sent the message to "technical problems." I recieved an auto message saying, "We do not have the staff to answer gardening questions or other questions not about our Web sites. If you need information on the care of plants, sources, home remodeling, etc., please post a query to one of the forums.

And this is also on member pages.
"These fields set various preferences affecting GardenWeb features. None of this information, or any information you provide at this site, will be shared with third parties."

.............OK;)

o

Ok...Peggy,

You now have a link on your page, so one can email you via the form here. The email addy is shown to No One...not me, not a non member, and it will not show in your posts.

There for a few days (in Jan) maybe, it was showing everyone's addy on their posts, but I have not heard of anyone having individual problems since that was fixed.

I guess I am just not understanding what you are saying.
If you post to a thread, it shows your addy in your post?
If someone emails you via the form here they can see your addy?
Remember, that is only a member who is logged in that can see your actual email addy.
I see your page says you cannot be reached via the link. as it goes to a 'bad' addy on purpose due to the problem.

My settings are:Show my addy to Members
and Allow others to email me via the forms via GW

That places a link on my page.
That shows my addy to other Members when they try to email me via the form.
That does not show my addy in post.
If I reply to someone else's thread, and they have chosen to receive replies to their thread in an email, they will see my email...thus it will not be blocked.

Have you set your settings like that? If so, why not try again, and then refresh your browser after updating the info. Likely you will then see the new info.

Once you have it set as you want it, you might go to the test forum and check it out there. You can see then if it appears in the post, and I can also tell you what I see when I click on your page, and if I can see your info. There are several 'regulars' there who can/will help.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Test Forum

o

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your help. I know this must be very confusing and I'm as confused as anyone.

>>If you post to a thread, it shows your addy in your post? No.

>>If someone emails you via the form here they can see your addy? Yes

I didn't realize there's an option to show my address to members only. I looked and you are correct. That would explain why I can see email addies on some pages. However, I've always checked 'NONE.' Since these settings keep (seemingly) changing by themselves maybe the option to show my email to members was inadvertantly changed. When you click onto my member page, can you see my email address today?

See the form below? Yesterday my em address was displayed at the end of the sentence, "You can send Peggy an email using this form. Today I can only see it beside, "From Email Address."
-----------------------------------------------------
You can send aka_peggy an email using this form: (yesterday it was displayed here)

From Email Address: pnutt@yahoo.net
-------------------------------------------------------

Also, my favorite forum keeps changing. Now it's tree's but earlier this morning it was tropicals. All these are alphabetically close to the forum I keep selecting as my favorite. I keep changing it back but it doesn't do any good. I've been very careful and in fact, had DH watch yesterday as I selected 'VEGETABLE GARDENING' as my favorite. He agreed I did it correctly. Then I went over and clicked my member page immediately afterward and it said Utah Gardening. LOL!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!

o

Hi Peggy,

>>If someone emails you via the form here they can see your addy? Yes
That is how mine is set...if anyone has a problem reaching me via the GW form, they can get my addy, and email me privately...just like you did.

Non members (or members not logged in) cannot click on and see my addy though on that form

I just clicked on your page.
You have an email link.
When I click on it, I can send you an email, but do not see your addy.....so you have it set to be able to receive mail via the form here, but to show addy to no one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here