Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to see all new postings since last visit

Posted by mailbox0600 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 8:04

Many forums have a feature...

"See all new postings since your last visit"

Clicking this shows you any new posting regardless of which "sub-forum" it may have been posted to.

I think this is very helpful as some one who is mostly active in the... say... Propagation Forum may have an answer for someone who posted a question to some other forum.

Plus... many of the "sub-forums" seem like they only experience occasional activity... and maybe this is because the overall GardenWeb forum is so finely sub-divided

So my suggestions are...

1 - Add the feature to "see all new postings since my last visit"

2 - Narrow the number of sub-forums or categories so the activity level in each forum is higher.

(then folks with an interest in a narrow topic can use the search feature to search across sub-forums for their particular interest)

If feature number one is already available and I just missed it... maybe you should make it more obvious so it hits me in the face :-)

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to see all new postings since last visit

Without a click counter one really doesn't know how much activity a forum gets. I've seen cases over at another forum where a title may get a thousand views and no replies, all lurkers.

o
RE: How to see all new postings since last visit

Determining a "view" vs a new "post" (and/or "response") are different things.

In the case referenced in the original post new "post" (and/or "responses") since the last visit was the topic... not how many 'views' since the last visit...

Basically a new "post" (and/or "response" )are simply new records added to the forum database and each record would have a 'record id' number automatically assigned when the new record was added/created.

So, if there were 100 records in the database (100 post) then that number (100) would be saved in a members profile upon their viewing the forum.

Then next time they came back to the forum the data base application would see that there were now (for example) 125 post in the forum and inform the returning member that there were 25 new post since their last visit and offer them the option to... 'would you like to view them now?'

Easy peasy :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here