Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expanding and Collapsing Ads

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 13:05

I know that ads pay the bills, and that they have to try to get our attention, but this expansion and contraction is truly annoying. I open a post to view it and scroll down to see the recent responses. Then the ad expands pushing the text I'm trying to read right off the screen, and I have to scroll down more to see what I was looking at. Then, a short time later, after I get a few words read, the ad collapses. Now I have to scroll back up to get where I was. This is not fun.

Make the ads big or make them small, I don't care, but please stop them yo-yo-ing the text up and down.

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expanding and Collapsing Ads

I've asked about this also. There are discussions out there of people who think they have a virus because of these ads. Kind of sad.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/suggest/msg0410390224878.html?2

o

Most members aren't bothered by or don't see any ads, moving or otherwise.

I'm sure the folks at the link below can help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help Forum

o

That's blatantly untrue. This site is free to users because of the ads, which is appreciated. Just not this type of ad.

o

Huh?

o

Did you have a question, albert?

A couple weeks ago it was for Target. This week I've seen it once (since I've usually scrolled down the page by the time it opens) and it was for Pepsi and Lay's chips.

I'm not complaining, just trying to offer constructive criticism to a site I love dearly. It's in everyone's best interest for the ads to be as effective as possible.

Since all of the forum pages take at least one scroll to start reading the thread titles, ads at the top of the page are the least effective on this particular site. The ads to the left are the only ones I usually see. Another option would be to lock the top in place with frames and have the rest of the page scroll under it. I'm sure a focus group would yield the same info, and probably already has, if anyone cares to research it. I'm no longer a rat in that race.

o

That's blatantly untrue.
I'm sorry. What is blatantly untrue?

Most members aren't bothered by or don't see any ads, moving or otherwise.
Maybe I should have said that I am never bothered by any ads here and know that a 'lot' of other members are never bothered by them either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here