Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open season for spam in GW forums?

Posted by eric_oh 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 18:39

There continues to be a problem with supplement dealers openly posting ad messages in the Herbalism forum (the Eastherb company has several such posts on the current forum page), and when such spam posts are reported to GW no action is taken to delete them (or respond in any way).

Is it now policy that anyone can advertise their products on GW through forum posts, instead of paying GW for ads?

Isn't that counterproductive to the goal of providing revenue for the site, as well as keeping blatant ads out of the forums? Could GW clarify its current policy on spam posts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open season for spam in GW forums?

Are these being reported using the the very small 'contact us' link at the bottom of some pages?

I have never been able to post that link in a message or a follow-up. One has to find it and click on it as it seems to be somehow tied to one's home page email.

I don't know if it has ever worked on weekends and holidays. And if the spam is not removed immediately it gets into Google cache and becomes immortal so there is not much point after that.

o

I just did a search for the spammers name (searching the entire site)and it yielded 9 threads...6 at Herbalism, and another 3 (it seems) at Herbs. I then sent the URL of the page showing the 9 spams threads to the Contact Us link, found in the green banner at the bottom of any page.

I lurk at Herbalism, and it does seem to get hit a lot harder than some of the other Forums. Reporting it, and providing the URL in the report, I'm sure helps in them getting it taken care of.

Sue

o

I reported this spam post to GW 3 days ago via the recommended contact link, but this and other spam are still up on the forum despite being reported.

In the olden days Spike was very prompt about removing spam. The current situation makes one wonder if the webmaster(s) are too busy to take action, don't care about spam's effect on the forums in general (including loss of ad revenue), or whether advertisers are actually paying GW to be allowed to post this stuff.

o

In the past there was a crappy mallzai web shop spamming the hell out of the bonsai section, the only way they ever took down the spam was when I linked it in a thread in suggestions. They scolded me every time too. I also had the gall to suggest that they out the name of the shop as a swear word and that they would have the spam blocked automatically from then on but they ignored that simple 3 second fix and opted instead for spam. Maybe they should have someone who reads every new post with the word spam in it and they could take care of the problem in no time.

Here is a link that might be useful: More spam

o

And them freaking casalmedia ads are driving ME beserk!!!

o

The spam in the Herbs Forum is getting really bad. I fear the same thing will happen in it that has happened in one of the Yahoo groups I belonged to. There it got so bad that it was hard to find a legitimate post, so I just dropped the group. I really enjoy GardenWeb and it would be very distressing if I had to drop it, too.

o

This site is going downhill FAST. It's almost unusable IMHO.

I've about had it....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here