Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JS/Redir malware popup

Posted by gwtamara (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 21:48

Many members have reported problems with their AVG virus software alerting to a malware threat (JS/Redir) when navigating our forums. At this time, this appears to be an issue with some AVG programs (possibly the free versions) that may be alerting to certain coding within our ads. This has been reported on other websites as well, but we are still researching to make sure that our site remains safe and that there is no threat to your computer.

It appears that AVG will be pushing an update soon, so you should update your software once it is available. In the meantime, if you are still getting this popup, it would be helpful to us if you could take a screenshot of the page and try and include as many of the ad banners as possible. You can post the screenshot here or you can email it directly to me at tamara.amey@nbcuni.com.

We share your frustration and hope that this issue is resolved as soon as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me directly for the quickest response.

Best,

Tamara Amey
GardenWeb Community Manager

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JS/Redir malware popup

I was having this issue, but it stopped after I updated my AVG. thanks for letting us know what's going on.

o

My FREE Avast virus software recognized I had a problem enter from the GW site... asked my permission to take notes from my computer and sent me a fix next morning all automatically. All I had to do is click to lock up the malware in the chest.

Everything is back to normal now,
Lou

o

Here's my screenshot: I use an adblocker so I don't really know what's causing it to do this. I updates my avg but it didn't fix it. I'll be on the lookout for a new update.

(I blocked my bookmarks on the left)

Photobucket

o

An update didn't fix mine either, and I just clicked the "virus vault" box before I took a screen shot. Sorry. I'll be waiting and watching for an update.

In the meantime, at least I'm relieved that it's not really a virus...

Annie

o

• Posted by patti43 10 Central Florida (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 23:48

Yippee, it got rid of mine. Thanks Tamara!! Those messages were a pain in the tush.

o

Woot! Thanks Tamara, glad I wasn't the only one! Didn't get the warning on my work computer, but I was unsuccessful logging in so I could post.

o

I started getting blocked from here yesterday. It wouldn't let me on at all. After digging around today I finally found on the AVG facebook page a post about updating. I did and I'm back in business. I have the pay version of AVG.

o

I don't use the software you're talking about, so I'm having trouble understanding this alert. However, I have had numerous alerts on my Norton this week and Malware software. Sounds to me like that means this forum is allowing in something that is trojaning our computers. Is the forum going to do something about it?

o

I've posted this on the Computer Forum also.

(I'm not sure if this is the same thing everyone is having now but it sounds like it to me. )

For what it's worth... The beginning of last month I was having the redirect problem ( Which AVG Free DID NOT find! )... I took the computer into the shop and my tech said he found a rootkit virus... After he got rid of it I had him uninstall AVG, install Microsoft Security Essentials, MalwareBytes and redo SpyBot ( He also installed I. E. 8 and ran all the scans after he cleaned it up )... The very next night I ran a Full scan with Security Essentials and it found " Virus: Win32/Alureon.H ", it Disinfected the file and told me which file to delete...

Two days later Security Essentials found " Exploit: Java/CVE-2008-5353.1 " and Removed all the files... ( BTW, I ran MalwareBytes first and it didn't find it )

I've been getting my updates and running scans on a regular basis and so far.... All clear...

Rita
P. S. I have my computer set to Alert me of MS updates but not to install them... The definitions for Security Essentials DO NOT show up in the regular MS security updates you have to manually update them every day...

Rita

o

This must be what my computer became infected with last week. Very nasty virus. AVG did not find it. We had to install a new malware software my husband found that was made specifically to wipe out this virus.

You should be more careful with all the ads you run. Never once have I received a virus from a mainstream site such as gardenweb. But you let all that stuff in, sooner or later something bad is going to attach itself.

o

I have a lot of JS/Redir in my vault on AVG free. Don't know what to do with them, leave them there?

I updated AVG yesterday, but everytime I came here I got another one so I am scaning again right now.

I believe I will do what you did Rita.

o

I'm not getting virus messages, but the Internet Explorer keeps crashing. I use McAfee.

I did get a virus from and ad on Ticketmaster about a year ago, so it does happen with legitimate sites. Of course, they take NO responsibility for the ads on their site.

o

I was getting the virus alert on any thread that i navigated but i ran my updated Malwarebytes software and that got rid of it. Everything works fine today.

Link below if anyone needs it

Here is a link that might be useful: Malwarebytes software

o

I got a warning from my free AVG. I thought I had picked up a virus from a posting in Readers Paradise as it looked 'dodgy' after I downloaded it. I have never had any trouble before and hoped I had cleared correctly. It seems all right now but I was worried as I am not computer- savvy!

o

I had warnings all day yesterday with AVG (not the free version) but today there was none. I hope all is well.

o

I hate all the ads. They make the screens very slow to load. It seems to have gotten worse in the past few months here.

o

• Posted by patti43 10 Central Florida (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 10:36

Think of the ads like taxes--a necessary evil.

o

While I know ads are a necessary evil. There is one today that pops up dead square in the center of the screen and it's big. American Living from JCPenny. Everytime I go from message to the main Kitchen board it pops up and it takes a few seconds before it disappears after I click the X. VERY time consuming and frustrating. It is different when there are ads on the perimeter, but when they invade the space and you have no choice but to listen to them that is different. And my AVAST did not pick up any threat either.

o

While I know ads are a necessary evil. There is one today that pops up dead square in the center of the screen and it's big.
Why not stop by the link below and see if they can help you? Just provide them with your browser, and what pop-up blocker you are currently using. I, like many others, am never bothered by any pop-ups so its just a matter of getting the right protection/blocker for them. With so many free programs out there, there is really no reason why anyone should ever be bothered by pup-ups and stuff.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 13:35

My free AVG is up to date, but yesterday (7/21) within an hour I got ten pop up messages regarding the "JS/Redir malware". What bothers me is that while they're "contained", the message says they "can't be moved". Does this mean they're still on my computer and may cause damage? AVG scans my computer daily and I've not had any problem, before this.

However, thanks for the alert; I didn't know what the heck had happened!

o

I've been browsing the forums for a couple hours today--no warning boxes like I was getting yesterday. Thanks for getting it fixed, GW. I was beginning to worry it meant something was wrong with my computer.

Kate

o

Tamara

Thanks for letting us know the cause of the problem!

All day yesterday I got the JS/Redir the moment I went to GardenWeb. I am using the free AVG and it updates itself every morning so maybe there was an update to fix it this morning - or you did something to fix the problem. Everything is working fine now. Thanks!

Japie

o

If you use Firefox for a browser, adblockplus and rick's easy list you will not have any ads. I can even block the logo pictures which are often huge. I just put my cursor over the ad, right click and click again on what comes up......no ads at all.

o

• Posted by beth4 z5 - Utah (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 17:58

I couldn't access any of the GW forums yesterday because of the virus notification. I use a PAID subscription to AVG software. I updated the AVG last night, re-ran the computer scan, and today I'm zipping around GW sites like normal.

Glad to hear GW is on top of it. Thanks for posting the info.

o

My AVG automatically updated an hour or so ago and appears to be OK now, I have been getting the warning.

Walt Conner

o

After AVG contained it and placed it in the vault, I then deleted it. Husband then installed an ad-blocker program that will take care of the problem once and for all!

o

Many of us do not know what AVG is, but we get the virus just the same. I'm not willing to install yet another virus software on my computer. I also use this computer for work. I think Gardenweb/ivillage should be responsible for keeping this sort of viral content out of our reach. We are the customer.

I'll say it again, this was much better when I use to pay 20 bucks a year to not have to put up with ads.

o

AVG is a software program that cleans up viruses, similar to Norton Anti-virus and McAffee. It has a free version and a paid version. Many people, myself included, use the free version, and find it to be perfectly fine for protecting the computer from viruses. If you do not use AVG than you should not be having this issue. If you are using a different virus protection program and are getting virus alerts when you come to Gardenweb, then that's a different problem all together.

o

the JS/Redir detection has been corrected with the already released (2010-07-21 23:11 CEST) virus database update (Virus DB: 271.1.1/3020). Please update your AVG (by clicking the Update now button in AVG user interface) and re-check the issue.

From AVG forum

o

• Posted by jiggreen zone 6b, carlisle PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 21:55

Whew! Glad all is ok now...was worried yesterday when I couldn't get onto gardenweb!! I think I was having withdrawal symptoms!!

I use the AVG paid version, and it must have automatically updated itself overnight because I'm not having any problems accessing gardenweb today.

Thanks for letting us know what was going on!

o

I'm sooooo glad I use Linux

o

I don't get any ads. I've also never had an alert on GW. I suggest you use google chrome for a browser and pay for good AV software. If you use FF them download ad blocker plus or no script.
BTW earlier versions of IE and McAfee are not compatible.

o

I had this problem as well, but it seems to be solved today, yay!

o
I just joined but can't find where to post a message!

Help - how do I post a message?? There is no link that says subject line or message.

Thanks!

o

I use Avg,but I also use Opera browser,and have fewer problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here