Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need 'send me an email' option put back into registration form.

Posted by breenthumb z5upstateNY (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 07 at 23:03

Lots of newbies on Houseplant Forum (and most likely all the others) don't have this in their profile.

Checking the "Register Here" form I see there is no longer a mention (or option) to get email from members through GW.

I wanted to give requested info to someone half way through a thread, (not the OP) who is unlikely to ever return to that thread. "Send me an email" would have insured they got the info. Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need 'send me an email' option put back into registration for

breen,

I see what you mean...nothing on that form b4 hitting submit. I wonder if that might take you to a next page or something. I did not try it...not having an 'extra' email addy to try my theory.

My guess is that after clicking submit there is something else to fill out...if one chooses to. I to see lots of newbies with no email link...but I also see them too with no email link but they do have a garden zone or state abbreviation behind their name.

Here is my 'canned' reply to a lot of newbie traders not set up right.

Welcome to Garden Web!

I thought you might like to know that there is no way to email you they way your preferences are set.

I suggest you go to the bottom of any page here and click on 'Member Pages'.
then Edit Preferences.
Then using the drop down box, set it to show your email addy to Members only.
then check the box to allow others to email you via the forms here at GW. That will place a link on your member page so folks can reach you.

You might also want to (while you are there) fill in your gardening zone, and your state abbreviation.

I for one (and some others too)prefer to trade some things (plants anyway) with members that are maybe 400 miles away, as opposed to 1000-2000 or more. Often if I can't tell where someone is located, I just don't reply to threads started by traders....rather than turning someone down later.

Happy gardening and trading!

Feel free to copy and paste any or all portions of it if you like.

Sue

o

Chemo, well it seems as though hitting submit should be the end of it but your theory got me curious. Anything's possible lately, even if it doesn't make sense--especially if computers are involved.

So I used my broadband email acct. (which I hate and never use) to register as a member. Two emails came from GW. First one: Welcome to GW. Save this email and use this link to edit your profile.
Second one: Follow link to confirm.

The first one led to the edit page you posted about. (Good idea, by the way. I will use it. Thanks.) But it doesn't seem anyone is actually going there to edit because they have no indication there is more to do there.

As far as the zone & state info, that came up empty the first time I signed in as breen2, so breen2's zone is confusion.

Still think registration needs to be reworked. Sandy

o

breen2's zone...confusion....LMAO...just noticed it behind your name in your post above.

Sandy...here is an interesting tidbit too.

I just went to breen2's member page. There is no link to email breen2.

But...did you know if I click on breen2's journal>Send breen2 an email>...I can then see your email addy @rochester.rr.com. If I click on the email addy, it will then send from Outlook Express...which I don't even use...so I just copy the addy and paste it and send from my Hotmail account.

So...your setting is set to show addy to members...BUT...the box is not checked to send email via the GW forms.

There are a lot of members set up thataway....so if they don't have a link and you want to reach them, you might try the above way...to see if you can see their addy.

Sue

o

Dang! Interesting that's in my journal. I never created a journal. Must happen automagically. Good to know there may be another way to email though. Its not something I would normally even do, but could be helpful like the info. I wanted to send.

That rochester.rr acct. is such a pain I never go there. Must have had to sign in about 5 times just to use it for this. Not user friendly. Thanks for the info. Sandy

o

Everyone has the Journal link...whether they use it or not.

It is strange that the email addy is shown there, if the member chooses to show it to members, but doesn't check the box to rec emails via GW. Probably a snaffu left over from the old Spike days.

just my guess.

I think in time newbies learn the best setting to be reachable, for trading purposes anyway.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here