Return to the Suggestions? Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the polite way to suggest creating a link?

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 3, 08 at 14:47

What is the polite why to suggest users create a link rather than copy/paste a URL?

Creating a link is so easy and usually can be made much more meaningful than a URL. Sometimes a very long URL can mess up the formatting of subsequent entries in the thread.

But persons posting online are so hypersensitive to suggestions that one needs to be very polite. Sometimes other users get their bloomers all in a bunch when the suggestion isn't even made for their benefit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the polite way to suggest creating a link?

Is there a polite way of saying, "I haven't a clue how to do what you're asking! I thought I was doing marvellously to have worked out how to do a cut/paste of a URL. Now I'm out in cyberspace with no tools, no clues, and what started out with me trying to be helpful to a fellow gardener has turned into a techie nightmare! EEEEEEEEk!"

'Cos that's how I'd feel and I don't quite know how to say that politely.

However, if there was an 'online here' place to go sneak a peek at how to do this -well, I'd save face and save the more cyber-savvy from my space-munching pastings.

o

I think a polite way to suggest creating a link would be to include directions. Like:

Go to page to link, copy url, paste in Optional Link URL box under message, name the link. (copy/paste options come up on right click of mouse.)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 22:57

I've found that when I mention the copied address does not do it for me, another reader will often create a link.

I was pointing out the Optional Link URL slot for awhile but that did not seem to generate much improvement.

Lately I just don't say anything on threads that have copied addresses. Somebody else can bother with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Suggestions? Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here