Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweedbunny

Using Epsom Salts in already salty soils?

tweedbunny
16 years ago

I've read in books that Epsom salts are good to supplement lawns and gardens.

Does anyone know if these are okay to apply to already salty alkaline soils like in the desert southwest?

Seems to me that if the soil is already salty (like in my location), I'd be doing more harm by adding salt.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (9)

• sffog
    16 years ago

epsom salt is not salt like in salty, its magnesium

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Next time you take an epsom salt bath, use the bath water on your plants. Save water.

• desertlvr
    15 years ago

Epsom salts are magnesium chloride. Table salt is sodium chloride. Mg is an important trace mineral for plants --- the operative word being trace, so you don't need too much. I use Epsom salts on my palms in Southern NM in addition to Miracle Grow. So far, so great.....

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

"Mg is an important trace mineral for plants --- the operative word being trace, so you don't need too much"

I'm afraid that's not correct. Mg is a MACROnutrient, needed by plants in relatively large quantities. In fact, soil needs to have about as much Mg as P (another macronutrient) for proper growth. Compare MACRO to MICROnutrients, or 'trace' nutrients, that are needed in only very small amounts.

N, P, & K are called 'primary' macronutrients; they are the most likely macronutrients to be deficient in soil. Mg is a 'secondary' macronutrient (as are Ca and S), and is more likely to be present in sufficient amounts in soil as compared to the 'primaries'.

I use epsom salts in 'macro' quantities when I fertilize my containers; 1/4 cup epsom salts per MiracleGro packet in my hose-end sprayer.

Cheers!

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Redneck Grower - Plant nutrients are divided into three groups: Marco (NPK), Micro ( S, Ca, Mg, i.e.) and Trace. The use of 'primary' and 'secondary' are not part of the plant nutrient language.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

petzold6596,

Sorry, but that's not correct.

Google a bit around the web, and you'll see that my definitions are correct, or at least acceptable. I'm afraid you are mistaken.

According to the United States Forest Service: "Micronutrients (trace elements)- Nutritional elements necessary in minute quantities for normal plant growth, such as boron and manganese." In this case, and in many other instances around the web on reputable sites, micronutrients=trace nutrients. They are synonymous. The terms "micro-" and "trace" refer to the fact that these molecules are required in relatively small amounts in the soil for adequate plant health.

Furthermore, the term "secondary MACROnutrient" actually IS "part of the plant nutrient language." Again, Google the terms "plant secondary macronutrients" and you'll see that this is so. For example, the North Carolina Department of Agriculture refers to "secondary macronutriets" HERE.

Still not convinced?

The University of Idaho says, in "Fertilizing Basics": "The primary macronutrients are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K). . . The secondary macronutrients are calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and sulfur (S)."

The term "MACRO" refers to the fact that these elements need to be present in soil in relatively large (macro) quantities in comparison to the MICRO/trace elements.

According to the University of Wisconsin, in "Essential Elements for Plant Growth"
    "sufficient" soil should have a phosphorus concentration (you do agree that phosphorus is a MACROnutrient) of 2,000 mg/kg, the same concentration for that of magnesium, thereby also qualifying Mg as a MACRO.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

Oh, and regarding the statement above: "epsom salt is not salt like in salty, its magnesium".

Yes, but, epsom salts ARE salts, and DO contribute to soil salinity. From Wikipedia: "The ions responsible for salinization are: Na+, K+, Ca2+, Mg2+ and Cl-."

You could concievably have a "salty" soil without any appreciable amount of sodium at all, and only high amounts of magnesium. The net effect is the same; the hydrophilic nature of excessive salts, ANY salts, (not just NaCl, or table salt) will have a negative impact on a plant's ability to absorb water.

In essence, a soil with an excessive quantity of any of the above salts is called "salty". If the excess is mostly sodium salts, the soil is called "sodic".

Cheers!

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

redneck grower,

I did take the time to read the sites you mentioned. The terms you discribed where indeed used. In each case, proceeding the terms were qualifying words such as, 'might', 'may', 'could', etc. I'm sorry if I confused you with the use of scientific terms, problem arising from education. Lets drop any further discussion as it will not accomplish any good. Truce.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

Yes, truce.

Sponsored