Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help pruning a potato bush

Posted by Vermont07 z4 VT (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 05 at 11:29

We have a potato bush (Paraguay nightshade) in our Arizona yard. Since we like a natural look, we have let this bush grow for two years and it has definitely got out of bounds.
How severely can I prune it and is there any way I can do this without it ending up as a rounded ball which would not look good in a natural setting. It's a beautiful bush with lovely flowers. Also, when is it best to prune this bush since it tends to flower year 'round?

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help pruning a potato bush

Hi Barb! I don't know where in AZ you are, but I just pruned mine down a bit. I like to keep the natural shape. No gumdrops for me! LOL! I don't prune it down to a nub. I just prune off the parts that got frost damaged. The hummingbirds love these bushes! Just prune out what you feel looks good. They aren't picky, and are one of the most beautiful plants we have. Don't be afraid to prune. Whatever you do will be fine.

o

Thanks for the encouragement. This bush has gone 6 feet in all directions in Phoenix soil. If some stems are pruned back to one foot, would they sprout from that? I think it needs a heavy pruning but don't want it to be a skeleton.

Barbara

o

Can anyone advise me on how much to prune long leafy branches of my potato bush. My plant is not a trained tree but a sprawling bush. I would like to encourage flowering before the season ends in October. I live in northern California. Thanks.

o

I live in Laveen, AZ, and tried growing the potato bush. It grew for a few weeks and then died. Before one died completely outdoors, I transplanted it and brought it inside hoping for the best. OK for a bit, but no luck.

What area of your yard is it growing in? I hate to keep spending money on these plants if they're not happy here!

We have irrigation at our place, and, since the label said full sun, I grew it on the west side of the yard. I have a new flower bed done on the SE corner, where it will get shade from our huge cottonwood trees, maybe this is better?

Any help on this? Thanks,

D N

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here