Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbitbrush growth rate

Posted by comeon 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 13, 05 at 14:00

I would like to plant a hedge between my neighbors yard and my own and am considering Rabbitbrush as the foundation of this planting. I am concerned about the size of plants available and how quickly it may grow. Has anyone grown this who can give me an idea of how quickly it is likely to grow?
Thanks,
comeon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbitbrush growth rate

Fast if you irrigate it.

o

sorry to be pushy, but how fast is fast.

o

I bought seedlings from high Country Gardens last spring - they were about 4" tall. By fall they were about 2 ft tall and starting to bush out. From the other rabbitbrush in my yard, I would guess these newbies will be about 4' tall next summer.

I cut my "teenage" rabbitbrush back to about 1.5 ft tall each spring and by fall they are about 4-5' tall. They are not irrigated. I have seen these grow 6-8ft tall in a garden setting with irrigation and would expect that to take 3-5 years from sapling.

o

Several years ago I had a native rabbit brush come up a couple of feet from an irrigated area of my yard. In two years it was about one and a half feet taller than my six foot chain length fence. That's big and that is fast. Most of the natives only grow to three or four feet high.

This is the Utah high desert with very little rain and a very short growing season.. I think a lot would depend on where you live, how long your growing season is and how much rain you get.

o

been away, just wanted to thank you two for the response, that was just what i wanted to hear.
thanks again,
comeon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here