Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickinsd

Tiny Towers - Can These be Topped?

rickinsd
14 years ago

I have 30 "tiny towers" (cupressus sempervirens montpell.)

These trees are about 15 ft tall and planted close together as privacy barrier. Trees are healthy but many of them do not seem to want to stay vertical and I have them staked to keep them growing upright.

My question: Is it advisable to "top" this type of tree in order to give it a lower center of gravity and help it grow straight? I am considering taking these down to about 9 or 10 feet but do not want to loose them as a result.

Rick

Comments (2)

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Wow! 15 feet is huge for a 'Tiny Tower'!

The most common cause of drooping, opening out, or curling of treetops in any kind of Italian Cypress is overwatering and/or overfeeding. Sometimes too much shade, extreme drought, shallow soil, or a complete lack of nutrients can do it too, but those are much rarer. Remember also that constant wind will distort their shape, too, so living on the beach could create a similar effect. Before you do anything else, I recommend that you review local conditions and cultural practices, and fix any problems that you can.

Stakes usually do more harm than good, weakening the main trunk, creating more of a problem when the ties (or stakes) finally break. The second thing to do is take them off the stakes.

Italian Cypress, including 'Tiny Tower' takes pretty well to topping, if necessary, but, it's hard to avoid that "broken off telephone pole" look. To prevent that, you will need to let out your inner bonsai artist: don't just whack it off, do some selective shaping when you shorten them. First go about two feet below where you want the top to end for now. Part the foliage and examine the central structure. Look for a nearly vertical branch coming off the main stem, preferably on the opposite side from the one the top is bending towards. The branch should be at least 1/3 the diameter of the main trunk, but remember that wood more than 1 1/2 inches thick has trouble sprouting again. Cut the main stem just above that branch, and cut the branch at the desired height. Cut the surrounding branches at staggered heights to make a point at the new top. Shoot for a "1960's sci-fi rocketship" look, rather than a "sharpened pencil" look! New sprouts should soon cover the bare stems, especially if pruning is done in early spring.

After 6 months to a year, it's up the ladder again, to make sure that the tree isn't developing multiple leaders, and to touch up the shape.

Don't use hedge shears at any stage of this process!

Hope this helps!
    Kevin : )

• Evansalex1_me_com
    13 years ago

Question if I may. I am thinking about putting some cypress trees in my garden but don't want them to become enormous. Read about these tiny tower types and wondered how fast they grow and what height they get to? Also are there any other varieties that anyone would recommend that don't get too big. Many thanks