Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebird2_gw

Grapes in AZ

Bluebird2
20 years ago

Hi

The bougenvilla on my lattice were killed during our freeze here in Meza AZ. I am considering growing grapes on these lattices. My question is will Grapes do Ok with drippers and the hot weather here and what types of grapes are recommended? I would like maybe to try a couple of different varieties. Thanks any info would be appreciated. Mont

Comments (10)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    20 years ago

We have grapes here in Southern Nevada so I'd bet you can grow them where your at ... ofcourse they are not evergreen so will die back in the winter ... check with your extension service for the best types ...

Growing them is one thing competing with Napa Valley is another!

Good luck ....

• ShelbyRayMom
    20 years ago

There are large groves of commercial grapes grown by a farmer on the loop 303 in Surprise. So, I know they can be grown, but I have no idea what type they are.

And as stated above they do die back each year.

HTH
    Tammy in Sunny Surprise

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Grapes thrive here, but they are not evergreen, and require a lot of water and care.

Check out the desert-adapted vines like Yuca, Mexican passionflower, etc.

• aztreelvr
    20 years ago

Bluebird,

A dead bougainvillea? That's hard to imagine. These plants are usually too tough to die.

What you see as dead is probably just frosted foliage. If you don't have your heart set on grapes, just wait until March and I'll bet you will see new foliage begin to emerge from near the bottom of your plants.

Although bougainvilleas are usually damaged by frost each year, you can't beat them for stunning summer color. As lazygardens mentioned, grapes are deciduous losing their leaves each winter.

Another choice for a vine would be a Lady Banks rose. They are evergreen, thornless and bloom in March-April with clusters of tiny white scented flowers. They are well adapted to the desert and should do well in your landscape.

For other choices, pick up your FREE copy of the new booklet Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert from your city's water conservatin office.

Here is a link to the contact numbers to get the booklet.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert

• DesertChildAZ
    19 years ago

I have a grape vine and it was doing wonderfully here in Chandler. I had about 8 big clusters of grapes. I was watering them regularly and just like that (*snap*) they shrivelled up and died last week. I did some online research and read that grapes require very LITTLE water and there's a good chance that I was overwatering them. (I'm seeing contrary information on watering, so I'm a bit confused. Some say water them ALOT, others say you almost never water them...even in the desert). I tend to think I drowned them if they shrivelled up like that.

That said, does anyone know how overwatering would affect the entire vine? Should I prune it all the way down and hope for success next year as I figure it's too late in the summer to hope for new buds? I'll be so upset if I killed it. Is there a way to save it? (I bought this home in December and was thrilled when this started blooming.)

Any recommendations?

• Bizfarmer
    19 years ago

We have had very good luck with grapes here in Gilbert. Ours are about 6 years along and growing on a 7 foot high clothesline-looking trellis across the back of our garden. This is the first year they are hanging down from the trellis(built two years ago) just the way we had hoped they would. They are so cool! The Thompson Seedless peaked around July 1st,while we were out of town, and the birds loved them pretty much into oblivion. Just this week, however, we are harvesting a great crop of Red Flames, and this year for a change they are big and sweet. I took about 20 pounds to work yesterday and everyone loved 'em. Our third variety is our favorite; White Concord Seedless. They are not so vigorous as the other two, but are the biggest and sweetest. The birds overly loved them, as well, but we got a couple of pounds in spite of the starlings, sparrows, thrashers, mockingbirds, woodpeckers, towhees, what have you.

Our 8 vines are watered twice a week by bubblers to fill the 4 or 5 foot diameter wells, and they may get a little help from my neighbor's flood irrigation every two weeks. They are just incredibly lush this year, and it is amazing how much pruning they require. Every two weeks or so I have to cut back errant vines spreading in every direction, and in January we end up with a pickup load of prunings. Worth it though.

Next year we may take on the difficult task of screening out the birds and maybe attempt making some wine. Our first year in Arizona we were astounded to see the heavily-laden Thompson Seedless vines at Sossaman and Higley roads. Picked 30+ pounds, invented a way to squeeze them, and made 5 gallons of wine. Couldn't drink it! Yuk!! Upon further research we found that the acid/sugar balance in table grapes is not suitable for wine-making. Wheww, they could say THAT again. We are not discouraged, however, and will try it again when we get a good enough crop. Throw 'em all in the bucket, I say, and let Mother Nature do her thing. Maybe adding some lemon juice will even out that danged a/s balance. Will let you know via Garden Web how it all turns out.

Good luck with your plantings. We got our varieties at A & P nurseries here in Gilbert. Ask them about the proper nutrients, and I am sure they will be happy to part with some!

• Bizfarmer
    19 years ago

I think I got the location of the Thompson Seedless vineyard a little wrong. In any case it is history at this point, due to residential development.

• aztropical
    19 years ago

Bizfarmer,

I realize this post is way after the fact..but thank you for your post! I've for some grapevine cuttings I'm trying to root right now. I'm hoping they take off. I know of two people other than you that have grapes growing successfully in their back yards.

I'd like to get a look at your vines sometime (I'm in the Chanlder area).

I hope all is well.

• mufa_q_com
    12 years ago

I would like to know where can I buy grapes to make wine: Carbernet, Merlot and Chardonay.

Thank you

• dpurplecoco_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

green grapes had for years, do all the pruning each year. This year, lots of clusters of grapes started, then they started shriveling up and turning black. patchy places on leaves. i am in southwest Az. where there is not alot of rain. can this be black rot? and if so, what are the steps to getting rid of it and preventing it for next year?
    I will be greatful for any help.

Sponsored