Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertlover_gw

Plant Lovers in the Land of Enchantment

desertlover
20 years ago

Just thought IÂd send this out and see what everyone in New Mexico is up to gardening-wise. I know this is a pretty quiet time of year for plant lovers, but what is on everybodyÂs plant wish list for this spring? Anyone raising palms, cacti and/or citrus?

Comments (61)

• bobcat12
    20 years ago

Hey, ABQ Palm Guy - you mean you've really had success in growing not only my beloved and much-missed PALM TREES, but EUCALYPTUS as well?? Being a former soCal resident, I miss these two trees more than anything. I can't believe they survive up there where you are!! Damn. I have seen one or two fan palms growing in yards here in Deming, but at the moment they look very dead. I guess I'll check them out when the weather warms up and see if they 'recover'. But, eucalyptus too? I love those trees because they grow so FAST and they are so lovely and tall; each with its own unique bark colors and leaf shapes. I planted several at my home back in CA, they are miles tall after 10 years, but of course I am not there to enjoy them! I had no idea they had a chance of surviving our freezing-and-below temps. around here. My gosh, I better do some research...maybe I can grow some after all.

I miss growing all the roses I used to have, too. The problem I've had here is that the winds we get in the spring (and other seasons too!)absolutely suck the moisture out of them in one day, making them dry husks!! I have a small ranch outside of Deming and NONE of the plants I was sure would grow here survived those winds. Lantana is usually foolproof in my experience, but nope, the winds dried it up too. I got very discouraged after my first spring (last year) in NM, the evergreen windbreak planted along one side of the house doesn't even help. I would sure love to have a few wildflowers, roses, and some bright 'radioactive' lantana thriving in my yard, but I can't see putting protective barriers around EVERY plant, tall enough and sturdy enough to survive the winds.
    Does anyone else deal with this? If so,I'd appreciate any suggestions you have to offer....thanks!

• ouidatouchon
    20 years ago

has anyone successfully grown roses, particularly Rugosas or David Austins in Southern New Mexico. I live in Las Cruces and have a walled garden in old Mesilla. Came from zone 5, what a change!!

• cactus_dude
    20 years ago

Sorry Ouida, I know absolutely nothing about roses. Have you posted on the rose forums? Good luck.

• jio1
    20 years ago

Ouida and Bobcat -- the only advice I can give you for roses is -- wait for it -- here it comes: MULCH! Lots and lots and lots of mulch. Mark Wood at Payne's Nursery on St. Mike's here in SF grows lots of roses and would be glad to answer questions (505-988-9626). Also gray water for plants helps in this drought we have. I live in downtown SF, across from the River, and have a 3.5' x 21' porch/balcony, W/SW exposure. Grow everything in containers, water almost exclusively with gray water -- herbs, vegies, annuals. Am busy organizing and collecting containers for Winter Sowing (also a GW forum http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow) a great and cheap way to garden in the winter and have lots and lots of plants. Now that we have some more NM folks, I'll check the forum more often! jo in santa fe

• shudavies
    20 years ago

Regarding roses in Las Cruces: In addition to lots of mulch, I would highly recommend an eastern exposure, so the plants get afternoon shade, and hopefully some wind protection. Good soil amendment too of course. I've got an Austin rose in full sun that's pretty healthy, even with our bright sunshine and relatively hot, arid summers. But Las Cruces, phew, I think you'd be "pushing the envelope" a little, in terms of heat and aridity... Also, the high altitude sun does tend to wash out the flower color somewhat here. Good luck!

• chagrin
    20 years ago

Jo in SF has the right idea about container gardening. I'm going 95% this year. In my case, I have a half acre in Los Lunas, but finally gave up battling with the absolutely intractable adobe clay and moved into containers (inspired by reading about a man in Rio Rancho who had a similar problem and discovered the advantages and joys of container gardening). I started by moving the rarest and most precious ornamentals I specialize in into containers (plants from all over the world). And last year, I grew all of my vegetables in containers except for Catalogna chicory, cultivated French dandelions, and Japanese Swiss Chard and harvested enough to stock the freezers for the winter and even to give away. What really amazed me was that the yield of container plants was twice that of anything I had ever gotten from the same plants in the ground. And not one case of disease (I heard of people down here in the valley just south of Alb. who lost large parts of their gardens last summer). Of course in the awful heat, wind and dryness here watering remains crucial. But by concentrating everything, vegetables and ornamentals, on stagings in one area of my backyard, I can better focus watering, and do it in half the time it used to take. We've been high and dry here all winter (only .17 inch of moisture since middle of last November), all the storms including this last "big" one, have gone around us without a drop, and just the thought of not having to hack away at that concrete clay, making and digging in compost as well as sand, gypsum, gravel, etc. and all that work that wouldn't do any good anyway, makes me quite happy and I look forward to another successful season in the garden. As for palms, I've got Sabal minor 'McCurtain' in a big pot outdoors. It was found in south eastern Oklahoma and offered by Plant Delights last year. So far it still has some healthy green leaves, but this winter has been colder than we've had for a while, so it remains to be seen. Of citrus, I have two Meyer lemon trees that summer outdoors (our sun is too intense for more than a half day sun) and winter indoors in a small glass porch. They produce more lemons than I can use and I freeze some and also give them as holiday gifts (you can't buy Meyer lemons in the supermarket).

• hrlygranny6
    20 years ago

Greetings to all!! I've been learning so much from all of you. This time next year we will be between Ruidoso and Nogal in our new home. We've always gardened and know it will be a LOT different from MN where we have lots of rain and humidity. Our house will have a greenhouse attached, we feel so fortunate!! Can't wait to be THERE!! Until then we'll just keep reading and learning from all of you!!

Thanks!
    Jean

• cactus_dude
    20 years ago

Buenos Dias Granny! I'm sure you'll enjoy our blue skies, green chile and amazing sunsets.

Hasta la vista!

• cheri_3
    20 years ago

Hi I'm in Minnesota now but am planning a move to the southwest with an interest in the Demming area. I am wondering if I will be able to garden in this area. Looking at land in the area (on the web) it seems to be pretty dry and I don't see alot of trees (we have lots of trees in MN) Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Cheri

• Moonsinger
    20 years ago

Hey all,
    I'm in Albq and am getting so much useful info on this post. I have so wanted to plant a palm or two (I'm in South Valley) but have hesitated. Lo and behold, some new folks moved in two doors down with a palm! I'll watch theirs and if it survives a year or two, I'm gonna do a couple, too. Thanks for all the info and interest!

• shudavies
    20 years ago

To Cheri 3: I'm from Minnesnowta too, and after a few years out here (in an arid part of Colorado), I've decided that trees are overrated. Seriously, if you're thinking of buying land and moving, ask about water availability and usage. If you can water, you can usually grow lots of different plants and trees.

Around here, people who live out in the sticks can drill a well, but the water is for inside-the-house use only; no outside watering is permitted. That pretty much limits gardening to a passive, natives-only mode. I've got a friend who redesigned his rain gutter system just to help with growing a couple small trees by his house.

• Linda96
    20 years ago

It's really great to see these postings from around NM. I'm just in the planning stage of a new yard, which is only dirt (and very welcome rain) right now. I will definitely take another look at trying palms after all the input from you folks. I definitely agree with the container enthusiasts... I potted many of my plants to move them here and they did well last summer in spite of the wicked heat. Even the artichokes. Gardener's Supply has some interesting looking self watering ones that I may try for the south facing front yard. Welcome to the folks from MN... having grown up in the Northeast, it was a real adjustment for me. But now, being able to see for miles, this place really has it's own special beauty.

• the_butterfly_lady
    20 years ago

I'm in Alamogordo (waves at NMnative) I just moved here from Florida in August. I find NM and Fla just alike, only opposite. Both are hot, one's dry & one's not :-) Of course the PH in the soil is on opposite ends of the scale too.

I'm a butterfly gardener (see my FLORIDA butterfly site linked below) and plan to continue growing butterflies here (it's hard gathering seeds from them when they keep flying away!)

I purchased a new house, so my yard was a blank slate. The front is rock except for an Ocotillo & Desert willow and a bunch of yellow Lantana (I saw LOTS of Painted Ladies on it when I arrived in NM)

I had the landscaper leave me a 6'x30' patch of dirt in the back for my garden. He just couldn't understand why I didn't want him to put rocks, cactus, or grass there.
    2 weekends ago, I mixed in a BUNCH of compost, manure, & peat (double dug about 20" or more in some places) The soil looks better - it's brown now, instead of rusty-red!
    I just can't wait to start planting! I did find some Bluebonnets at Walmart this weekend (did I mention I'm a native Texan?) I really missed bluebonnets in Fla. I planted them today in my island under the desert willow. It felt good to be out playing in the dirt again.

I plan to go to Albq on the first of April and will go to Plants of the Southwest nursery (instead of buying online)
    April 15 is my set planting day - 1 month later than my Fla planting day :-(

I've only seen Painted Ladies here in NM, but I've only been here since August. I have seen hummers on the Ocatillos too. I hope NM has lots of butterfleas! I just can't wait till spring!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flying Flowers - my site

• putrescible
    19 years ago

I'm in Albuquerque, and I'm about to try my hand at Winter sowing. I'm attempting to sow drought-friendly plants whenever possible, and I also try to water my (non-edible) plants with greywater collected from our showers and baths. Gonna grow some chiles next year, hopefully.

Just wanted to say hi to my fellow New Mexicans!

• crackedearth
    19 years ago

bobcat!!! i just moved to deming!
    i probably won't be able to start planting this year. but i plan on doing a live windbreak plant wall, and
    a raised, drip, greywater veggie bed. our soil is not good for veggie gardening, not intested in amending, that's why we're going to go with a raised bed-possibly with greenhouse cover, i'm thinking 'chuck wagon' look to it.
    i have lugged with me, a century plant, poor thing was givien to me by my late grandmother-in-law, it is still in a huge planter pot for 10 years, makes babies every year or so. my husband has a crazy long-armed rattail cactus, i have a miniature window catci similar to his and some aloe also from gm-i-l. i figure the nights are so cold, i may have to get a greenhouse or have all the plants inside...i am sure the aloe would just turn to mush, but couldn't part with it.
    if i do get to plant, i am starting simple, a bag of soil with some zucchini in it. i like growing tomatos in pots, but not sure about the bugs out here. my soon-to-be neighbor says she does better with her indoor cherry tomatos... but says the other neighbors are good at growing aspargus.

• gord_nm
    19 years ago

Okay fellow New Mexicans(I'm in Las Cruces), I have a situation I need some help with. I want to grow a vine on a west wall (open exposure to the west sun) on a trellis, that would hopefully grow to cover an adjoining overhead ramada. Any suggestions for a low water use vine other than Lady Banks roses (I already have 6 of those and they require too much pruning).

• gord_nm
    19 years ago

OK, I'll take the lack of response as nobody has any ideas on my request(or you want to keep things to yourself). I'll try elsewhere for help.

• one_3ddave
    19 years ago

I am in Gallup, NM. I am trying to grow penstemons and columbines & a few oenotheras. I have a chocolate flower I planted last spring that's still very tiny. Also a Stanleya pinnata that will take a few seasons to develop. I have a six pack of NM privet seeds outside to stratify over the winter. Hopefully they will survive and grow past a month or two like last time. I like to do the container thing too. and I am trying to grow some Morning Glories next spring. I found that portulacas do really well in the sandy clay soil up here. Also Snapdragons and zinnias. Hi to everyone!

• BriceInAbq
    19 years ago

I'm in Albuquerque. I do square foot gardening (organically), have several fruit trees, and am working on planting guilds around the fruit trees and getting more edible landscape plants in place. I'd like to get a grape arbor up and am looking into espaliering apple and pear trees against a 6' concrete wall. The previous owners planted 20-30 rose bushes throughout the property, so my wife and I are learning a lot about those as well.

• kmh914
    19 years ago

Hello!

Just bought a house in White Rock, near Los Alamos. I moved here from Seattle a few years ago so I've had time to do some container gardening at my condo and to observe the gardens here and listen to the locals' experiences. I made an incredible garden at my home in Seattle and am looking forward to gardening here; just can't wait to get my hands in the dirt again!!! Gardening here will be more challenging, however. The shade plants that I loved so much in Seattle, like impatiens, just don't bloom here. I think the air is just too dry.

The house I bought has some garden beds in the front with rocks edging them; then apparently the would-be gardener gave up and put down black plastic (arghh, how stupid) and topped that with gravel. I'll be spending lots of time cutting away the plastic and breaking up the (probably) rock-hard soil. Why do people DO that???

Cheers!

• FarmerMaggot
    19 years ago

I'm in Albuquerque (UNM area) and grow organically. This year it's tomatoes, pole beans, Italian frying peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, pumpkin, zucchini, yellow squash and strawberries. For herbs, rosemary, tarragon, coriander, marjoram, fennel, basil, parsley, sage, and thyme.

Farmer Maggot

• avelaz
    19 years ago

Hi, I am in Santa Fe and find it very interesting all of the different garden experiences in the state. The gardening bug has really caught me last year and this year I am so excited for spring. My soil is rock hard clay with lots and lots of rocks...blech. Amending the soil is very hard work and last year my sons(very young..under 10) and I basically took sections of the yard and just replaced the soil in a few areas with friable soil that was deliverd by a landscaping company. My vegetable garden (small, 8'x10' or so) is a raised bed my dad helped me build. That little plot keeps me in tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers for summer, though!

To Gord NM, have you thought of a trumpet vine? They can handle the heat of a west wall I think and after a couple of years to establish, they should be relatively low water. Grapes, too and potato vine are thoughts also. And of course BOUGAINVILLA! I wish I could grow it here, too cold in the winter but very thorny, but actually thrives on neglect.

• abq_bob
    19 years ago

Just as an FYI - since we don't have a forum to call "our own" here on GW, there is one over on Yahoo, which I just discovered the other day(nmgardening). It's kind of slow right now, but who knows, maybe we'll spark some life over there. I'm always looking through GW and Yahoo groups for more info, Hope it's not against GW policy to let people in on info they might be interested in. (?)
    Just trying to be helpful, happy gardening! My crocus are blooming!! Just in time for Valentine's!

--Bob

• Debbie Erfer
    19 years ago

Hi all! I just joined this forum and am surprised to see so many NMican's here! This thread was started over a year ago and is still going! I moved into a home in the NE Heights of ABQ 2 years ago and am trying to redo my shady back yard. I always had full sun before, and although I love the shade, I have found it a challenge to grow many of the xeric plants I am used to. I planted many things last fall and they are just coming back to life now. It will be exciting to see what does best in all this shade. If anybody has any suggestions for dry shade areas, please let me know. I'm also using this site to get tips on building a waterfall.

I would like to invite anybody interested to join the Xeric Garden Club of Albuq. We meet the 3rd Saturday of the month at various locations in the area for lectures, garden tours, workshops, etc. Next Saturday (March 19th), we will be at the Xeric Park on the corner of Osuna & Wyoming for a "work party". We will be doing some much needed maintenance to the park. Everyone is welcome to come and help and learn about xeric plants. Let me know if you need more info or check out the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xeric Garden Club

• Moonsinger
    19 years ago

AlbuquerquePalmGuy: where'd you get the eucalyptus?

• ian_wa
    18 years ago

Colvos Creek Nursery sells a number of hardy Eucalyptus mail order. I know Mike the owner, he is a great guy. http://www.colvoscreeknursery.com

• Moonsinger
    18 years ago

Hey palmguy and cactus dude, my neighbors two doors down are planting LOTS of palms in their ever evolving yard. Pretty big, too. The guy told me he was going down to Las Cruces and buy some, and he sure did. Unfortunately he also bought a tacky lion statue that sits right out front! Oh well.

• lama
    18 years ago

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I am so exicted to see all the other NM garderners. I have lived in Socorro for 8 years and finally just bought a home (I will be moving in at the end of the month). The yard was basically a blank slate in the backyard, and the ususal gravel and plastic in the front. I love to garden so I can't wait to have soil I can actually plant in. Since I have been renting for so many years I have quite a container garden going. About 12 roses, all doing very well in pots even though I leave them out all year long and don't do anything to protect them. I just planted two apples (a gala and a johnathan), a moorpark apricot, and a kiefer pear in the yard. I also planted some catmint, creeping phlox, lambs ear, sea thrift, salvia and other annuals just becasue I could. I have had great luck with zinnia's and sunflowers at my rentals. I also had good luck with chilies (of course), rosemary, oregano, corn etc. Anyway, just really exicted to see other NM garden lovers, aren't glad spring is here?

• AlbuquerquePalmGuy
    18 years ago

Moonsinger- Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this site- I am horrible about checking message boards...

As far as Eucalyptus goes- I got seeds from windmilloutbacknursery.com

they have a wide variety of seeds available. I really babied the seeds that I purchased and now have eucalyptus rhodantha and 2 microthecas. Looking good. I would look for the hardier ones- Gunni is a safe bet 100% sure. Nicholii is good (although I hd dieback this year) I have experimented with quite a few-I have had a real good experience with Dalrympleana- however a person from another board with more experience with eucs had told me that was not a species adaptable to our climate- Its name is "mountain Gum"- It is definately hardier than Nicholii as I had no die back at all and the leaves were undamaged as well.

I am glad more people are planting palms here- un fortunately they dont take care of them that well. I agree that trachycarpus fortunei is 100% hardy here. Howver they only look best in the shade(the sun will burn them). My palms are putting on good growth here in Rio. But I also coddle them quite a bit-

I stand by my washingtonia filifera as the best palm for here! Hopefully if you get a palm you will get one of those!

Excuse the jibber jabber!

Palm Guy

• lksmith
    18 years ago

Does anyone have any great tips on gardening in decomposed granite? So far my plants are looking great but I can always use advice for gardening in New Mexico.

• cactus_dude
    18 years ago

Moonsinger-

That's great that your neighbor planted so many palms. Like PalmGuy, I too wish more people here in ABQ would plant palm trees. Can you imagine how great some of the street medians here would look with T. fortunei planted in rows? I think some of the Sabal species would do well here too. In my opinion, a lot of the landscaping here is pretty boring, so palms would really add a lot of character. Anyway, I'm really happy that this thread has lasted so long. I started it long ago under my former user name "desertlover". Regards,

cactusdude

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I'm in Northern Nevada (drier than NM), 4500 feet, Zone 7. I can grow LOTS of cacti, Agaves and Yucca. I haven't had any luck with overwintering palms yet, although I ALMOST overwintered a Rhapis palm in a protected location (it had one live shoot left in Spring--not enough to justify the space it was occupying), and I killed a Washingtonia robusta in a pot good and dead by leaving it out over the winter. I have yet to try killing Brahea armata or Trachycarpus fortunei. If you like the "palm" look, try Yucca rostrata. It's way cool, and much hardier.

I haven't tried growing citrus here...YET. I'll start with Poncirus trifoliata, though, because I'm putting in a lot of spiny prickly plants to deter the hellspawn neighbor brats who keep trampling my front yard plantings.

• ruralnm
    18 years ago

Hi. Just registered after finding you guys today. I haven't looked around much, but this thread caught my eye and seems to be right up my alley. I have enjoyed reading about all your NM gardens. I have columbine that I started several years ago, and is spreading itself well. I have a "yard" that is simply the native grasses that were here when I came. I am in the process of building a patio in the shady back yard, but it is still mostly in the planning stages. I will be seeking advice on shady-area plants when it all comes together. I also have the beginnings of a cactus garden that is mostly what was already out there plus a couple of things I have found locally. Nice to know you guys!

• chicagohater
    18 years ago

Sounds like some unhappy ABQ gardeners out there. Thinking about moving to ABQ, NM but am very concerned about NO GREEN. New input from new relocators there would be appreciated!

• lama
    18 years ago

Albuquerque will never be as green and lush as chicago, but it is the desert, so you can't expect too much. I have seen plenty of lush green gardens in NM, you just have to try a little bit harder and make sure everything gets plenty of water. You forget to water and you might as well forget about having a garden. Just choose plants that will grow well in your area and you won't be disappointed.

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Just noticed the existence of this forum, figured I'd mention that I'm in Las Cruces. Not really a gardener per se, pursuing a PhD in plant systematics at NMSU, spend a lot of time botanizing in the field. Have a few plants at home, but don't really have a yard; ferns in concrete blocks along the front of my apartment, though. And if construction that's just begun on the biology building at NMSU is completed before I leave I'll probably play a part in xeriscaping along the front of the building.

Patrick Alexander

• bosque
    18 years ago

Hello, just discovered this board, Or post I should say, I am in NM, 30 miles east of Albuquerque. I too am a former MN native who was transplanted here over 20 yrs ago. Gardening can be a struggle here but I just can't live without the green :) Nice to meet so many other New Mexican's.

• catnip3
    18 years ago

Well, I'm curious. I also live in Las Cruces and just moved here a year ago. Patrick, I was wondering what kind of fern grows here?

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Well, I've got pictures a number of native species from New Mexico, Arizona, or Texas on my webpage at:

http://boechera.nmsu.edu/~paalexan/swplants/index.html

Look in the families Aspleniaceae, Dryopteridaceae, and Pteridaceae...

What I've got growing in and in front of my apartment are mostly arid-land ferns, some native to the area. Some of what I've got:

Actiniopteris semiflabellata (African)
    Pellaea atropurpurea (native to NM, though my plants are from Indiana)
    Pellaea cordifolia (native to TX)
    Pellaea gastonyi (native to northern US and Canada; seems quite happy here so far)
    Pellaea lyngholmii (native to AZ)
    Pellaea oaxacana (Mexican)
    Pellaea wrightiana (native to NM)
    Cheilanthes wootonii (native to NM)
    Cheilanthes eatonii (native to NM)
    Cheilanthes bicolor (Mexican)
    Cheilanthes intramarginalis (Mexican)
    Woodsia obtusa (from Indiana; we'll see how it does here)
    Asplenium rhizophyllum (likewise from Indiana)
    Sinopteris albo-fusca (Chinese)

Cheilanthes wootonii, Pellaea wrightiana, Pellaea gastonyi, and Pellaea atropurpurea seem to be doing the best of these, but since I just moved here last fall I don't really know how well all this'll work long term. A lot of them are still recovering from various problems related to indoor pest damage (doesn't seem to be a problem outside, but scale'll really do a number on some of these indoors), moving, being poorly protected outside last winter, etc. Right now I've got them in a row of concrete blocks turned sideways (my theory on these rather than pots being that they should dry out more slowly as well as providing a fair amount of thermal inertia protecting these guys somewhat from extreme temperatures) on the east side of my apartment and am keeping them pretty well-watered; most of them will survive drought just fine, just won't look good without the water.

I'm also going to see if I can get some plants in my research genus, Boechera (used to be Arabis) growing just for fun.

Also worth mentioning that I think Lesquerella fendleri and Lesquerella gordoni, which were responsible for a lot of the yellow around A Mountain and in the flats W of the Organs this spring, are probably excellent and currently totally ignored plants to use around here. From what I've heard, they'll bloom just about year round with minimal watering... hope to plant some of those in my apartment-side gravel at some point.

Patrick Alexander

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Addendum-- occurred to me I've got Pellaea falcata looking quite happy outside at the moment, too. Probably borderline on surviving the winters, but it and Pellaea rotundifolia are the only arid fern species that are regularly available commercially.

Patrick Alexander

• sfg2006
    18 years ago

Just joined. I'm in Albuquerque. Right now I'm trying to improve the soil in my yard. The previous owner killed it with black plastic and rocks.

However, I am growing a couple of Stupice tomato plants and trying to get some Warpath Kidney beans going from seed in one small area.

Leon

• Crumpet
    18 years ago

Oh Leon, first you must pump life back into the soil. The black plastic has probably killed off the good soil microorganisms........and, I hope the bad as well, LOL. Oxygen is critical. So make certain you are incorporating plenty of humus/compost and oxygen (via good soil turning.) Soil is more than just mineral matter. There are many different soil microorganisms necessary for good plant growth......when you plant and cultivate a garden you should also be cultivating the tiny guys. Protect your soil from baking in the sun (use mulches), if possible use organic fertilizers and ammendments. Avoid reaching for chemical herbicides, insecticides, etc.

You can bring the soil back, but it takes time.

• frdnicholas
    18 years ago

I have been in Albuquerque for one season, and am thrilled to have a home with lots of room and lots of sun. What I am wondering is: what # zone are we in? What vegetable species(that's not the right word, but I'm having a pre-senior moment and can't think of the word) work well here? I am specifically looking to plant tomatoes, eggplants, bell peppers and bush beans. Last year I just chose whatever Walmart had on hand. (Let's not start a "Walmart" discussion..) I would appreciate any help from those of you with experience growing here. Thanks.

• abqpalms
    18 years ago

frdnicholas -

You will get much more expert advice than mine from some other folks here, as also being a relatively new Albuquerquean, I have been amazed at the knowledge of some folks on this board local to this area.

At any event, you asked about what zone # we are in. And truly, the best way I think I can explain what I have learned regarding zones in Albuquerque is that really, you have to realize that it is more prudent to consider the city in thoughts of two zones, rather than just one.

If you live in a valley area - North or South Valley or Corrales area, etc. (anything lower and near the Rio Grande) - or, in the Foothills area from Juan Tabo or especially Tramway east, you probably would be most prudent to consider yourself in a zone 6 or 6b area (maybe 7-like on more mild years)...nightimes in the Valley areas or in the Foothills can get significantly colder than in the other parts of the city. (Should note though, that while Valley temps are colder at night, they typically do get a bit hotter in the daytime as well).

However, if you are in the Heights areas of Albuquerque, or on the West Side, you can more consider yourself in a solid zone 7b area. Again, more mild years in this area bump it more at selected times to more of a zone 8a, and there are thermal belt areas such as by UNM that are more common to an 8a annually.

But probably a safe, general rule would be a 6 or 6b in the Valley, and a 7b in the Heights or West Side.

As for vegetables to plant, again, other folks on here will give you much more solid info, however, I do know that tomatoes and peppers (2 of the 4 you mentioned) do generally do very well in Albuquerque.

(A somewhat unrelated side-note...I live in the NE Heights and have a Georgia peach tree, and already as of last week - not even March yet - it is budding its blossoms extensively...with proper care, you will enjoy growing things here!)...

Best of success!

• aklinda
    18 years ago

I recently moved to New Mexico from Alaska to be closer to my aging parents. I'm in Bosque Farms. The lot I have came with some very large roses, a giant tree and several shrubs. Otherwise it's just dirt. I have planted 4 more roses in the ground and 4 containers with climbing roses to grow on the fence (I hope). I know nothing about roses but have been reading up on the rose forum. I also just discovered the winter sowing board a couple of months ago and have winter sowed lots of drought and heat tolerant perennials and have some things already starting to sprout. I also planted a bunch of daffodils and day lilies and there were already some well-established irises on the lot. I'm doing all of this with my fingers crossed, as this is all a new ballgame to me. I have really enjoyed all of the sunshine, as opposed to six months of ice, snow and frigid temperatures. Ask me again in July what I think of the sun.

• challenged_grower
    18 years ago

Greetings Fellow New Mexicans!

I just wanted to check in as I have just joined today. I am in the Sandia Park area . We moved from Alb. in Oct.
    This is the first time in the 13 years of being in NM. that I now have a place for a garden. We hare cleaning off a 17X45 ft. area. I know NOTHING about gardening in NM or how to deal with the ground squirrels, moles and rabbits that are sure to invite themselves to dinner. We are putting up a 6 ft. high chicken wire fence, but it won't keep out those "diggers".
    I am needing advice as to what fertilizer to mix in with the dirt and when to start planting the seeds? Can anyone give me an idea?
    I had great gardens in the mountians of VA, but we had clay.
    I look forward to corresponding or hearing your opinions and advice.
    I am so excited and looking forward to my first NM gardenig experience!

• frdnicholas
    18 years ago

We are in the Barelas Community area, just south of Coal and Lead streets. That's not quite the South Valley, so I'm still not sure what zone my area is in. Our house was under the Rio Grande river a long time ago, so we still have good silt with plenty of riverbed rocks. I have been slowly adding compost from my compost tumbler and rabbit manure from our bunnies. The soil in the vegetable beds is a good 8-10 inches deep and is slowly turning a darker color. I was also wondering what types of tomatoes, zuccini, eggplants, and corn folks have found successful? Has anyone planted the Armenian cucumbers before? To the Chicago person, we moved here from Atlanta, Georgia just under 2 years ago and love this city!

• moggie
    16 years ago

I'd love to plant daylilies in containers on my patio which has an east/northeast exposure. 5 feet high stone walls surround the backyard which will cut down on any wind gusts.
    Any other bulbs that will thrive here in Las Cruces?
    Thanks for any feedback.

• catnip3
    16 years ago

I was thinking no one posted on this forum anymore, glad to see someone else in Las Cruces. I am currently digging up my daylilies and putting them in containers too. I put them in a nice sunny spot in the ground and most of them have just fried in the heat. I also have grown agapanthus and cannas in pots and they do very well. I want to plant more containers so I can move them around to get afternoon shade so I'm trying different things.

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

I find that daylillies, cannas, agapanthas do very well in pots also. I have daylillies in the ground on the east side of and close to the house where the afternoon shade keeps them from getting fried. i don't think they would survive our summers in a south or east exposure.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!