Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are those shrubs suitable?

Posted by anken So. California (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 18:57

Hi, I'm so glad to have found this forum!
We live in the inland section of Southern California.
Our climate is close to desert climate. Here's my question:
I would like to add some shrubs to our narrow and small backyard which is all concrete. The planters I have already are 11" high by 11" diameter and are made of plastic.
I would like to place them next to a white vinyl fence which faces south and gets a small amount of shade in the afternoons. I am considering either Podocarpus...or Nadina Domestica �.or Honeysuckle, because I believe that they are easy to grow and fairly drought tolerant. I would also like them to grow about 5-6 foot high.
Does anybody have any suggestions or other ideas?
Thank you in advance for any replies. Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are those shrubs suitable?

I am only familiar with Podocarpus trees which can grow over 50 ft.

11 inches is not very deep for a shrub or vine. 16 to 18 inches is needed. Perhaps nandina would prosper for a few years (5 years?) in that depth. It will require regular watering.

Another benefit of larger containers in hot temperatures is the larger soil mass stays cooler so roots don't get cooked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here