Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which native plant book would you recommend?

Posted by gandbb z8WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 04 at 20:10

I live in the Northwest. I recommend the Pojar book, Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast, to visitors and residents alike. Now I am travelling to the southwest and wonder what the best book is for identifying native species of that region. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which native plant book would you recommend?

• Posted by cNM7 7a Albuquerque (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 15, 04 at 22:04

For New Mexico I highly recommend "Plants for Natural Gardens" by Judith Phillips. It's thorough, contains great photos and covers all the microclimates in depth. Happy travels!
Cynthia

o

Where in the southwest ?

o

we'll be visiting the national parks - Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and then Sedona and Surprise.

o

I live in Surprise!! Below is a list of book that the Arizona board has put together.
Mary Irish is a very good writer for Arizona.

HTH
Tammy in Sunny Surprise Arizona

Here is a link that might be useful: books for az

o

Thanks Tammy,

My brother and sister-in-law are in Surprise. My sister-in-law is a member of a garden club there. Any chance you know Barbara Laybourn?

o

There isn't really one book that would be the best sadly. Check these out and you might also like the link I'm providing. It is an updated version of Berniece Andersen's book.

Desert Plants of Utah by Berniece A. Andersen
Flowers of the Southwest Mountains by Leslie P. Amberger
Srubs & Trees of the Southwest Uplands by Francis H. Elmore
Wildflowers of Zions National Park by S.L. Walsh

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Plants of Utah

o

Check out, 'The Audubon Society nature guide : DESERTS "

It contains photo's and descriptions of native animal and plants and also a introduction to the ecology of deserts ....

A good book for the transition you are about to experience ...

Good Day .....

o

My favorite is Native Plants for Southwestern Landscapes by Judy Mielke

o

grandbb,

Here is a link to the Arizona Native Plant Society. They have a series of eight booklets - sort of like field guides - that should be helpful too. Plus, they area very affordable at $2.25 each.

You can purchase them locally at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix or Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Superior, but if you have time you could order them before your visit.

I hope this helps.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Native Plant Society publications

o

thank you all so very much

o

My favorite book, and the one that I reference to alot, is the Sunset Western Garden book. Desert Dweller

o

You can find everything that you want to know about any plant, pictures of it etc...on the internet......I have a volume of great books but I still go to the net for everything....You may have already tried this...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here