o
How do I know when to harvest my Oranges

Posted by smbirgetucaz 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 5, 05 at 20:32

How do I know when to harvest my Oranges

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I know when to harvest my Oranges

Taste one! When they are sweet enough, start harvesting.

They keep on the tree for a couple months.

o

This is from the most Arid Gardener list serv digest:

The best way to tell if citrus is ripe is to sample the fruit. There is usually enough fruit on a tree so it isn't a big loss if a few are sacrificed by sampling. If you keep records, after the first year you should know when it is
time to harvest.

You can also get it a ball park estimate of the right time of the year but you need to know what varieties you have. Some AZ Sweet varieties ripen in November but Valencias won't be ready until February-March. See http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1001.pdf for some examples.

Once ripe, the best place to store it is by leaving it on the tree until you are ready to use it or until it becomes overripe and/or drops from the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down for archives

o

• Posted by jwutzke PHX Cntrl Corr. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 11, 05 at 14:55

The orange trees at my new house are dropping oranges like mad. I presume that means they're ripe :)

My question is whether oranges that have sat on the soil for a day or two are OK to consume. Ones that have been on the ground for more than a couple days seem to get moldy quickly, and so to avoid turning the orange trees into fungus labs, I'm currently picking up all fruit on the ground and throwing it out. But if a fruit on the ground still looks good, is it OK to eat?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here