Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matsukaze

large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho

matsukaze
18 years ago

I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall and 30 Joshua trees that are 10-14' tall. I also planted a large number of yucca rostrada, yucca ellata, firebarrel cactus, gold barrel cactus, cholla, ocatillo and sotos. I was told all these were good in our area. has anyone tried any of these? They have come through one winter ok.

Comments (8)

• idahocactus
    17 years ago

Regarding various yuccas that are hardy for the Boise Valley --- there are many that are very cold hardy and they all need excellent drainage and little or no extra water once planted!! The y. faxonia is very hardy as well as yucca elata, thompsonia, rostrata and even the Joshua tree. There is a large plant up on the top of Warm Springs Mesa. It has been there since 1992, and there are several other mature specimans around the Valley.

The sotol family is not represented very well here with only one that is truly hardy to our climate. That is the dasylirion texanum. The variety wheeleri tends to die out quite quickly, although we did get one to survive for over 6 years. The nolina family is also quite hardy if you get the right plants, and of course about 4 varieties of hesperaloe.

The cactus group is well represented here with even some plants above 6 - 8 feet, although the larger barrels are usually only half hardy, unless you plant them against the foundation of a house, and make sure it is on a mound. We do have smaller barrels that are native here in Idaho, that are perfectly hardy and a nice feature is that they have beautiful blooms and are fragrant.

Ocotillos are questionable ---- but this might be possible if the plants are well rooted and have excellent drainage.

• priest
    16 years ago

I know this thread is old but I wanted to see if I could rekindle it, as I am interested in some of the same species as matsukaze, chris, and idahocactus.
    Matsukaze, how did you acquire such large specimens for planting and how have they done over time?
    I am right on the border of Zone 6 and 7, but of course we receive a lot more rainfall here at about 33 inches per year.

• flattie
    16 years ago

You all may want to try Yucca baccata as well. I have seen specimens growing among aspen and fir in Pino Canyon in our local Sandia Mountains. At these elevations of 8000+ ft., they see snowpack every year (sometimes feet) and temperatures below zero F. on occasion. Not a trunking yucca, but one to consider for a ground plant, especially if one can source NM seed or plants. Edible fruit as well!

• idahocactus
    9 years ago

a follow up to these messages. And here it is 2015!! And the Joshua trees, yucca faxoniana, elata, baccata, rostrata and Thompson yuccas are all thriving and doing well. Some are developing into nice specimans. I am including some photos in a winter scene from 2013. Somewhat cold and snowy, but doesn't seem to affect the plants.

The pic shows a nice faxoniana and yucca elata.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Any Ocotillo splendens up there?

• idahocactus
    5 years ago

No ocotillo specimans up here yet, although we are experimenting with them. They are somewhat not easy to grow outside of their natural range.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I have one ordered of Ocotilla splendens from High Country Gardens coming next month. I'm debating potting it (alcove above freezing in the winter) or planting it in the ground. I can see I should have ordered two.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living