Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
desert rose (adenium obesum)

Posted by carol_alex zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 05 at 10:57

HI EVERYONE I LIVE IN ZO. 5 BUT HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DESERT ROSE, IN THE HOUSE FOR ABOUT SEVEN MONTHS A YEAR. BLOOMS FOR ABOUT ONE MONTH IN AUGUST, I KNOW THAT THIS IS A SUCCLENT AND IN THE BONSAI FAMILY. IT HAS NEVER BEEN PRUNED AND GOWING KIND OF WILD. I WOULD LIKE TO PRUNE THE PLANT THIS SPRING WHEN IT GOES OUTSIDE, HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE PLANT BLEEDS VERY EASY AND COULD DIE IF NOT CAREFUL.I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO START SOME NEW PLANTS IF POSSIBLE. THANKS FOR ANY HELP. ""GARDENWEB IS THE BEST SITE I HAVE FOUND FOR HELP LOVE COMING HERE"" THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: desert rose (adenium obesum)

Hi;- Glad to hear that you like coming to visit the Forum,Welcome!

I am amazed with nature and love reading other comments about growing the same plant in different climate zones.
My Desert Rose normally sends out flowers before the leaves start to emerge in spring. Adenium's prodigious main
trunk and fat stems make it a very highly desired succulent which lends itself to Bonsai culture.

In my humble opinion, you have selected the appropriate time to trim the plant. If, for some reason a branch or two
is aggressively growing out of line, I will selectively trim hard those branches and no more. In case of a light trim of
the entire plant, ie, 1-7 leave nodes, the plant appears to adapt itself well to this method. I would also add, have a
spray water bottle ready and immediately generously mist the entirely plant after pruning. This will stop the bleeding
and help seal the flesh wound/cut as well.

Cuts pieces can be propagated by letting them dry for a few days, aid with rooting hormone and plant in a well
drained mix. Pure pumice works quite well for me.

May I suggest that the next time you post please unlock the caps.

Good Growing!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here