Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
xeric shrub (morning sun)

Posted by adp_abq 7b NM (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 05 at 11:24

I need a xeric shrub that will get morning sun. The location is in the SE side of my house. I was thinking of either apache plume or desert honeysuckle (anisacanthus thurberi). From what I've read apache plume needs full sun. Is this the case? Any other suggestions? Native southwest plants preffered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: xeric shrub (morning sun)

I have some on the East side. Get no afternoon sun at all.
They do fine.

Gotta be careful with them. They sucker, they seed and they want to make a tangled mess like winter jasmine. I have mine at bay, but it's a chore. If you have enough room for them to do their own thing...I'd say about 8' square for each plant, they're great. Flowers or plumes all summer long.

o

Autumn sage (Salvia greggii) is a small shrub that can take some shade, and is native to Texas. Doesn't need much water once established, either.

o

Hi,

You've probably already bought your shrub by now. I'm very pleased with the two Cenizas that I've planted on the SE side of the house. There's also the benefit of it blooming whenever it rains, too.

Good luck,
Xtal

o

I am looking for seeds for the Anisacanthus wrightii which is a recommended xeric plant for the coastal North Carolina area. Does anyone have a lead on reputable seed supplier. I would consider a nursery but most are out of state and most are very costly.
Any help in locating any of the anisacanthus family would be most helpful.
thanks much

o
Anisicanthus sp., RE: xeric shrub (morning sun)

• Posted by jfr1107 ABQ z7 and denial (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 8:41

I have grown Anisicanthus wrightii, aka, flame acanthus, in Austin, where it is almost a weed. It does set seed, but I think it is not the right timing to get some now, but I can check with friends and/or the next time I go there.

Has anyone grown A. thurberi around ABQ? I have never seen it around here, but am intrigued that it may do well here. I get the Anisicanthus genus confused - is it very similar to A. wrightii? I know there is another one that is not supposed to be hardy here, A. californica?

Thanks.
John R.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here