Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grorty

Sick Queen Palms

grorty
19 years ago

I have 4 QP's around the pool - 2 seem to be doing well, but 2 seem to have stopped growing!! All 4 are approx 12-15' tall, but the "sick" 2 have either stopped producing fronds from the top, or the fronds are very weak and floppy. Any ideas??

Comments (7)

• TucsonJen
    19 years ago

I'm awaiting a knowledgeable reply!

I just have one young Queen that is losing it's top (longest) fronds. In the 9 months or so that we've had it we haven't fertilized it... perhaps we're overdue?

Jen

• aztreelvr
    19 years ago

Queen Palms are native to tropical regions of South America and often struggle here in our salty soils, low humidity, freezing temperatures and brutal summer heat.

To keep them looking their best make sure you are watering deeply but infrequently, allowing the soil to dry just a bit in-between. When soils are too moist the palms are unable to pull nutrients (especially iron) out of the soil which can result in the pale yellow fronds (chlorosis). Apply water to these palms as you would to any tree, that is, make sure the water is soaking in to a depth of two or three feet and that you are not applying water right next to the trunk. Instead, place emitters two to three feet away from the palms' trunk. If you have a drip system and are using one-gallon emitters, water for at least three to four hours each time. You will need several emitters for mature palms. The interval will depend on the season - once every week to 10 days in the summer; once every three to four weeks in the winter (for zone 9).

Our salty soils in the southwest also interfere with the absorption of nitrogen and iron. Adding a 3 inch layer of organic mulch on top of the soil will slow evaporation, cool the soil and add nutrients back into the soil as it decomposes. The addition of soluble soil sulfur will help lower the pH just a bit which should help with the absorption of nutrients.

In the southwest deserts, weak or collapsed fronds, or fronds that are "accordion pleated" are an indication of a manganese deficiency. Using a complete palm food that contains manganese monthly during the warm months will help. Plants are not actively growing in the cool months, so wait until April before fertilizing. (Old fronds will not be improved however). The condition known as 'bud rot' has never been documented in Queen Palms by the U of A plant pathologist, so don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Because Queen palms grow so slowly, you may not see improvement for some time. Queens only produce about 5 or 6 new fronds each year so be patient.

I hope this helps.

• TucsonJen
    19 years ago

Thanks! I even printed out your reply!
    Jen

• caligirl1983
    17 years ago

I am in California...we recently had an Arctic Blast....and temps went down to 15 at one point...my queen palms are looking pretty bad..I dont know what to do...I have fed them and watered them....I am also seeing mold on the branches....HELP!!! I dont want to lose them

• hehlers
    16 years ago

I have 4 large mature queens and a couple recently planted and all of the are what looks like dieing on me. The 2 largest lost of their frawns and the 2 youger ones have new frawns coing in, but then they just fold over. I have watered deeply and have fertilized thru the summer months, but they look like they are lost. Does anyone know how I might save them or are they gone and need to be replaced. I live in Peoria, Arizona which is a Phoenix suburb. I know this summer has been brutle, but am hoping that now that the cooler temps are setting in that they can be saved. Please help!!!!!!!!

• highcountree_mtpalomar_net
    15 years ago

In So Cal we have 30 acres of Queen Palms in boxes & in the ground and we use "Palm Plus" Fertilizer it has all the specific nutrients that Queen and other palms need in this area. You can locate it at most Professional Fertilizer Stores
    www.highcountreenursery.com

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Our Home Owner's Association will no longer allow Queen Palms here in the desert. All that are established can stay, but they frown on new ones. The thing that happens here is because of the golf course, the sprinkler's go on several times a day for short times, and they don't get watered deeply. I try to water mine deeply now and then, and I had the strong main frond just wilt and die often. A garden center here told me to give the palms Epson Salt and to water deeply.

Date Palms and Mexican Fan Palms grow easily, but the beautiful Queen likes a more humid, cooler temp than we have here. Still... I'm determined to keep mine alive!

Good luck with yours!

Sponsored