Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP: Cauliflower - Mutants????

Posted by alanjones10 z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 17:43

I bought some cauliflower starts at a well known nursery. I followed all the direction I found. When I see the tiny heads about the size of a quarter or 50cent piece I tied up the outside leaves to cover them. BUT the plants are not growing a head like the cauliflower at the grocery store. They are growing out long with little flowerettes with space between them. They taste ok, but the plant doesn't look right. What is it? Here is a picture of it http://www.flickr.com/photos/39957692@N08/?saved=1

PLEASE HELP!!! I DON"T WANT TO GIVE UP ON CAULIFLOWER

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP: Cauliflower - Mutants????

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/growing-cauliflower.html

It's a very picky plant ... Successful cauliflower growing requires regular continuous growing conditions. Any stress to the plant will result in a reduction in head growth which is often known as 'Buttoning'

o

Is it anywhere near where someone might have been spraying for weeds? Especially a lawn? It looks suspiciously like damage from 2-4-D, a common weed killer. you might also have waited too long to harvest, and it started to bolt, but that usually is straighter and more normal looking, if still not really edible.

Kevin : )

o

First timer w/ caul...Any ideas why my heads turned out looking "dirty", grayish, not clean white. I did the leaf tie up thing w/ string, maybe too late? Maybe due to heat waves? They taste ok, but not appetizing look...OOps, I am in CT, not OK, but any advice good/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here