Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactus_dude

Looking for Xanthorrhoea plant

cactus_dude
16 years ago

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Xanthorrhoea (Australian Black Boy, Grass Tree) plant? Thanks,

cd

Comments (11)

• flattie
    16 years ago

I have seen them on ebay from time to time. Might be worth a look.

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

CD -- Out of Los Angeles area is a reputable grower named Maurice Levin. I have purchased some beautiful cycads from him. website is: www.cycads.com I know he used to carry grass trees and likely still is. By the way, how did the move to Tucson area work out, CD? I am the guy who almoost bought your 15 gal. Mediterranean fan palm before you left 'Burque. Still planning on a landscape/ nursery business? dl

• cactus_dude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to both of you for the info.

dl, the move to Tucson has been great, thanks for asking. I'm not sure about opening a cactus nursery here in Tucson because there are so many amazing nurseries, the market is pretty saturated. But I have some great contacts now at places like Bach's, Plants for the Southwest and Miles To Go.

For now I think I'll start selling plants on ebay.

How are all your plants doing?

cd

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

They are mostly doing well. We have Sabals, Brahea Armatas, W. filiferas and Robustas,Butias, Chaemarops which are all doing well (the Robustas with their typical Las Cruces frost burn which is replaced by beautiful new fronds in March and April). I have a small Jubea which winters over nicely but is sooooo slow growing. I am about to bite the bullit and spend a lot on a 24" box sized specimen from California --- it has a reasonable size trunk now, so should grow moderately fast. They are so beautiful --- only coconut relative which is cold hardy. There are a couple of gorgeous specimens with good size trunk in El Paso, so they should do well in Las Cruces (my small one has breezed through 3 winters without leaf loss). This is what happens when one is palm obsessed, I guess. At least in my case........ Good luck in Tucson. I love Bach's nursery --- I have several of their Trichocereus Tercheckii, some of which are now 8+ feet and sprouting arms. Probably will bring back some more this Spring. I'll have to check out Miles To Go --- never been there. Peace, dl.

• flattie
    16 years ago

Desertlvr do you have any pictures of terscheckii? 8 ft.? Wow.

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

flattie --- nothing digital. I will take some soon and post. It is amazing how fast they grow in Las Cruces, averaging 1/2 to 1 foot a year.

• cactus_dude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dl- glad to hear your palms are doing well. It's been nice leaving my potted palms out all winter now that I'm in Tucson. Do you have any Phoenix palms?

That's very cool that you're growing T. terscheckii in Las Cruces! Has it flowered yet? The large one at Bach's has been flowering like crazy.

cd

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

cd --- I do have a couple P. dactyliferas and P. Canariensis. Some leaf burn, but they should recover nicely (trunks are only about 2-3 feet tall, so should get more cold tolerant). The T. terscheckii do flower every year; the tallest one, at about 8 1/2 feet, has also sprouted 4 arms in the last 2 years! They seem to thrive in Southern NM; there are several nice specimens growing in T or C as well. I'm thinking they would do well in protected microclimates in Albuquerque, especially with a simple burlap cover. I use that on my Stetsonias in 'Cruces from mid December- mid Feb., and they look great. It amazes me that burlap, which is porous, gives about a half zone protection.

• wineandlobos
    16 years ago

T. terscheckii- wow do these really grow that fast,how much do they sell for?

• cactus_dude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

desertlvr-

I agree, T. terscheckii may do well in ABQ with protection. And you're growing Stetsonias in LC? That's awesome. With all your cool palms and cacti, your yard must be the talk of the town. Please post some pics sometime- I'd love to see them.

wineandlobos-

T. terscheckii has been known to grow up to 12 inches in one year (at least here in Tucson). You may find some for sale at Osuna Nursery, but I'm not sure they'd have anything larger than a 4 or 6 inch container. But it's worth a look, because last spring they had some pretty large saguaros for sale. Or, you could buy some in Tucson at Bach's Cactus Nursery :). They always have them- anything from one gallon containers for $9 to huge boxed ones for $400.

Best,

cd

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

cd --- I will post some pics this spring. This weekend, I am planting an Encephalartos Lehmanii that I got from Maurice Levin's Cycad company out of LA. Reputed to tolerate to mid teens. I will winter protect the first couple years, since it was too expensive to lose easily.

wineandlobos --- I agree with cd --- a road trip to Tucson is worth it for the T. terscheckii. The ones I have planted west of Las Cruces I bought from Bach's when they were 2-3 feet tall, 4 and 5 years ago. Now they are all between 5-8 feet tall, with some minimal supplemental water from April to October.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH