Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txhorsegal

Container gardening in Albuquerque

txhorsegal
19 years ago

Hi y'all!

I know I read a few messages pertaining to container gardening here in ABQ, but it's been awhile. Anyway, just wanted to let the container gardeners hear about my success with Earth Boxes last season.

They're highly advertised in gardening magazines so it's possible most of y'all are familiar with how they look and work.

I had gigantic tomato plants, probably 8-9 feet tall, some of them. I couldn't even give away, use, or freeze all the eggplants that grew on 2 plants, and the chiles were extremely prolific as well. I started lettuce about this time last year and I grew some awesome heads of romaine, bibb, all types of leaf lettuces, etc. I still have lettuce coming up from seeds that were dropped from old plants last year, and we had several nice fresh salads this winter. That box was placed on the south side of the house.

The boxes have a reservoir for water in the bottom, and each one only takes 2 gallons of water per day, which is WAAAAY down from how much water I had to use when the plants were in the ground, even with mulch in place.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has used Earth Boxes and what their experiences were. Personally, I'm SOLD! They did exactly as advertised, and of all the reviews of them I read on the internet, I didn't read one negative thing.

Bye for now!

Suzy

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!