Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Austrailian Pine Hedge?

Posted by neukid AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 19:22

Hi, I live in Phoenix and the oleander hedge around my yard was destroyed by the oleander leaf scorch disease. I am looking for another plant to replace it with since we the people behind us have an ugly two story house that looks down into our yard and the neighbors do not use blinds in their bathroom window. We would like it to be 20' to 25' tall and relatively fast growing.

I recently went to the nursery and one of the employees recommended planting a boarder of Australian pine (Casuarina equisetifolia). It sounded great until I looked them up. Seems like a lot of people do not like them and they grow a lot bigger than I was told. Has anyone had any experience with them? Also are there any other ideas for plants? I thought of ficus but the latest cold spell killed that idea and I am loth to put oleanders back in but that is starting to look like the best option:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Austrailian Pine Hedge?

You problably should consider African Sumac.It should be well adapted to your area.It can be a small tree or a large shrub depending on how you prune it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here