Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veggie Garden Sun

Posted by dawnas Zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 21:52

Ok, I am sure this is a stupid question but I am a newbie at all of this. I am wanting to start a veggie garden in our yard this spring. For background, I am in Marana, AZ (NW of Tucson) and in Zone 9.

My concern/challenge/question: I have been monitoring the area of the yard where I would like to have the garden and it looks to get only about 4 to 5 hours of direct sun max. This isn't enough, is it? If not, what should I do to supplement the direct sun or is there nothing I can do? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veggie Garden Sun

Hi, I'm in Marana too, small world. Anyway, it really depends on what you are trying to grow and what time of day it is getting the direct sunlight. If it is veggies, I put them in the spot of my garden where it only gets morning full sun in the summer (the time of the year changes the shadows too btw-what is looking like full sun now might be different come summer). If it gets too much direct sun in the afternoon of our crazy summers, it will burn. So, I'd say my veggie garden does extremely well in about 4-5 hours of direct morning sun a day. The shade starts creeping in about 2pm. Other plants such as roses like the full sun though or they won't bloom. Same with my bougainvillea-after transplanting it in full sun,the blooms went from a pale yellowish green (which I really liked) to a hot pink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here