Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasmikie

Blue Flowers, that can take the Heat..........

texasmikie
21 years ago

Can you help me please. What will bloom all summer in the hot, dry sand. Any suggestions or SASE seeds would be app. I grow Veggies and have good trades, but wife likes (BLUE) flowers. H.E.L.P.

Comments (23)

• jnine
    21 years ago

Not sure if this will grow in TX but it grows here in AZ (Phoenix)...Blue Hibiscus. It's more of a bluish-purple color. It can go between blue and purple depending on how the sun hits it.
    I've attached a link which contains a picture of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Database - Blue Hibiscus

• mehitabel
    21 years ago

try chicory-- a beautiful blue wild flower nearly all over the place. A true blue. Grows by roadsides, so it can take awful soil. Blooms only in the morning, tho.

I believe you can get seed from J.L.Hudson seeds.

• animas
    21 years ago

Be careful with chicory or blue flax. Both are considered to be weeds as escaped ornamental flowers. They seem to grow a little too well and crowd out native species. Check to make sure these are not on your area's "bad plant list."

• miSago
    21 years ago

duranta repens or d. erecta (golden dewdrop) has a nice blue flowers in late sprinmg-summmer and..eh...er...golden berries in winter

• Carletta
    21 years ago

Blue thunbergia - that's a vine which takes a while to get established but is very pretty. I don't find blue flax difficult to handle at all in beds, but I don't know if I would plant it now - might be a little late.

• Carletta
    21 years ago

In response to your question about seed for the thunbergia, I have never found any seed on this vine. You will probably have to buy the vine. There is another blue flower - plumbago - a small shrub, which also comes in white. This apparently makes seed because sometimes it comes up in my beds. I'm trying to root some cuttings of the vine but I don't know if this is going to be successful - if so, I might have some at some of the plant swaps, or one of the small plumbagos.

• animas
    21 years ago

A suggestion. If you click to highcountrygardens.com and click on the "plant finder" button, you can specify a search for blue/lavender flowers. I tried it out and it gave me 86 results with photos. Very cool!

Some of high country gardens selection are for the drier climates. I'm not sure if some selections will tolerate your humidity. Try catmint, russian sage and salvias (many varieties). Blue globe thistle (echinops banaticus) is cool with dark blue balls as flowers. It's tough-as-nails and grows in practially any soil. For early season blue, try any of the various Veronicas. My favorite late-season blue plant is the fabulous Blue Mist Spirea.

• wexey5
    20 years ago

Blue Bells. Seed them in Oct. and they will re-seed them selves every year. Elyse

• msh4638
    19 years ago

miSago wrote about durantus erecta - golden dewdrop) - can that be grown successfully in large container? I was thinking of using them in pots around our pool.

• the_butterfly_lady
    19 years ago

Bluebonnets! Of course, it's probably a little late to start them now.
    I like Blue Daze, but it needs a little shade in the afternoon.
    Salvia is great, the blue grows tall! Borage is also great. Plants of the southwest offers Delphinium ramosum;
    Branching Larkspur (it sounds great)

• usha
    19 years ago

blue hibiscus is my favourite. it is a shrub of 6ft height and thrives on neglect. evolvulus is a ground cover that can handle the sun. potato bushes reach 3-4 ft can also handle the sun. rosemary(shrub or groundcover) has blue flowers but they are inconspicuous. sages/salvias are great. blue morning glory is annual vine. vincas are good choice. perennial vines-snail vine...can you tell I like blue...!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Peter_in_Az
    19 years ago

...Texas Bluebonnet?

If you want to know more about it then...

Here is a link that might be useful: About Texas Bluebonnet

• crista
    19 years ago

Cape plumbagos have pale blue, almost lavender, flowers that are pretty when paired with plants that have deeper blue flowers.

• Robin_FL
    19 years ago

Have you tried Texas Sage? Not only does it have beautiful purple-blue flowers, but it is drought tolerant, loves full sun and can take sandy soil.

• seaecho1
    19 years ago

How about the blue form of Agapanthus?

Randi

• barb_tx
    19 years ago

I have something the trader told me was Mexican Cornflower but I have not been able to find that name. The plant has a lovely blue/purple hue and has a denser head than centaurea montana (much more so). I do not have any seeds right now but if you want to email me I can collect some for you later in the year. Do have some small plants. Barb

• aztransplant
    19 years ago

I second the suggestion about bluebells. I sowed these seeds last October, they sprouted in late winter/early spring, and were absolutely gorgeous with the most intense blue color. The seeds look like little specks of dust (and each plant produced tons of seeds), so I'm sure that I'll have plenty next year, too.

• gardeningartist
    19 years ago

Blue Ageretum

• barb_tx
    19 years ago

Found out the name of the plant I was told was Mexican Bachelor Button. The plant I have is Brazilian Button Flower and it Loves the Heat.

• nrynes
    19 years ago

Many species of penstemon love heat and are blue. Check High Country Gardens, Plants of the Southwest, and Western Native Seed.

• foobosh
    19 years ago

Plumbago auriculata lam. can be found in almost any temperate and subtropical areas. The Plumbago plant grows well in full or partial sun, the soil is rich, well drained and fertile. Also, Plumbago has a high drought tolerance level, and needs only medium moisture.

• tcinmesa
    19 years ago

Larkspur is great. comes in all colors but my favorite is blue. germinates at 50 degrees, is the first to grow in my phx/mesa garden and reseeds itself easily.

mine start in november, grow thru feb, start to bloom in march - july and take NO WORK.

they can get 4-5 feet tall with space. I let mine grow thickly and they get 3.5 feet tall. they require no work and will grow in grass, weeds, manicured flowerbed, whatever.

they will bloom better in full sun, and I'm talking about our hot desert sun.

just broadcast seeds and water. the seeds are tiny.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larkspur, Annual Delphinium

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz