Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone in Albuquerque planting tomato plants yet?

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 10:54

I have this week off, and with the warm temperatures have been tempted to put in some tomato plants. I also remember some springs where we had cold weather the end of March/beginning of April. Is anyone else thinking of putting out tomatoes or peppers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone in Albuquerque planting tomato plants yet?

I put a couple of plants out last year on February 28, just to say I did. They lived to produce a great crop, but they were against a south-facing wall, and required special protection about a dozen times. It's still too early to get much benefit from them being in the ground, as they may survive with care but not put on much growth. We've got a cold spell coming this week and it might be reasonable after that.

By the way, right now is peak season for "mustard weeds", which can harbor the dreaded curly top virus that kills tomatoes. Be sure to eliminate them from your property and immediate area before planting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here