Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abqpalms

Cherry Tree Question

abqpalms
18 years ago

Hi all -

Quick question...

I have a Bing Cherry tree growing in my yard. It is doing very well, however, I realize for fruit production off of it, it needs a pollinator.

I have purchased a Montmorency Cherry tree. The question: WILL THIS TREE WORK WELL AS A POLLINATOR FOR THE BING?

Thanks for ANY help!

Comments (8)

• abq_bob
    18 years ago

I would think you should be fine. There are lots of cherry trees around Albuquerque. I've got a solitary Bing in my back yard and it produces very well - it's also very old, in fact, when I bought the house, I'd never seen a cherry tree so large!

It did get severly attacked by bores last year while I was away from town for an extended time, I lost nearly half of the tree (cry!). Make sure you treat for bores. They're deadly and pleantiful around town.

• lindseylu
    17 years ago

Hello,
    I also live in Albuquerque (northwest corner) and have recently purchased a Bing cherry tree from a store which only carries that variety. Can anyone recommend a nursery in the area where I can buy a pollinator (Rainier, Van, Stella, Black Tartarian, etc.)? Thank you very much!

• abqpalms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi!

Well, I am the fellow who started this thread, and one thing I should note is that abq_bob (above) gave me some really good advice! As of this past Sunday - April 16th - my Bing Cherry tree is starting to grow many cherries all over it, and that is without the aid of a pollinizer (at least one in my yard). As such, you may have some fruit success as it is, or at least after it gets a year or two under its belt.

But I did a few weeks ago purchase a pollinizer anyway (although it didn't have a chance to pollinize my Bing this year) - a Black Tartarian. I bought it at Alameda Greenhouses near 4th and Alameda. Probably pretty close to you. And they had a good selection.

Hope that helps! But yeah, as abq_bob directed me to, Bings seem to grow fruit here even without a pollinizer due to so many in town.

• lindseylu
    17 years ago

Thank you so much, abqpalms, for the quick reply! You rock! I'm glad your cherry tree is doing so well and I really appreciate the recommendation of Alameda Greenhouses -- it is less than ten miles from my house so that's perfect. !Muchas gracias! Lindsey :)

• abqpalms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No problem, Lindsey! I think you will like Alameda Greenhouses...kind of a tricky enterance, but just follow the signs (and go during a non-rush hour time, as Alameda gets crazy in that area from about 3:30pm to 6 on weekdays).

Have a great time with the trees - they are fun!

• lindseylu
    17 years ago

Ok, everyone in the Albuquerque area, you simply MUST check out Alameda Greenhouses! They are the best nursery I have ever seen! I went there this afternoon and was extremely impressed at the variety of plants available. I could have stayed all day! The prices are fair, the staff is super friendly (including the "greeter" cat, Mr. Stinkly :) and the selection is unbelievable. They are located at 9515-1/2 4th St., at the corner of 4th and Alameda. THANK YOU SO MUCH, abqpalms, for letting me know about them!

• gw:valerie_cherry
    17 years ago

Hello

I'm searching for some help for my cherry trees. I bought them last year in July. So far they haven't yeilded any fruit. Hopefuly they will bare some fruit next year, if they make it. Something is eating them up!! Does anyone know what might be doing this? The leaves are full of holes and now it looks like the leaves are turning brown. How do I save my cherry trees?!

• sherrylynn
    15 years ago

I also have a question, can a Bing Cherry Tree produce in the state of Georgia? If so, what kind of cherry tree should I plant next to it in order to get the earliest possible produce (my Bing is about 7 years old now)?

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz