Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yay it's spring!

Posted by abq_bob 7 / SS10 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 13:59

Actually it's been spring for a bit, as my crocus are already done blooming and my daffs are in full bloom! The sweet peas are already 1-2ft up the trellis, no blooms yet, but if the temps hold, I'll probably get some within a week. The peach tree is has opened a couple buds and should be in full bloom any day now.

I've been doing my spring clean up and looking through seeds that I didn't get planted last year. Can't wait to get some of my old beds revitalized.

Biggest projects for me this year will be re-plumbing my watering systems (drip/soaker/sprinkler), and rejuvenating a "hot bed" (an area directly under a south-facing cinder-block wall).

How are your gardens doing? Any big projects for this growing season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yay it's spring!

Hey bob. I'm south of the East Mountains and I have mound veggies growing in jiffy pots in the living room. DH is finishing our garden fence this weekend. We have company next week, and we may enlist them to help plant row crops. Per your observation that Apr 1 is average last frost, (and given how things are going) I think the timing should work out nicely! Our peach tree is also budding, but we have no pollinators out yet, so we aren't sure what will happen!

Today we assembled a swing set for the kids, and I plan to (finally) prune my roses tomorrow! Hooray!

cheers!

o

My plum and cherry trees have blossom on them. My pears and nectarines are going to burst open any day now. I have 1 week of school left before spring break and I can't wait to be home taking care of the garden beds and playing some mandolin. Spring can't be too far off!

o

I'm new to this area (Bosque Farms) from Alaska and am learning all sorts of new things about gardening in the desert. I have winter sowed a whole bunch of drought tolerant perennials and have added 10 roses to the 6 that were already on this lot when I got it. I have purchased 3 evergreen and 1 oak tree that need to be planted. My daffodils that I planted earlier this year are in bloom. I have a basically bare lot so it is a blank slate. And I planted some ornamental grasses today before the wind kicked up. Sunday the established roses get a haircut. Pruning roses will be a first for me. I saw on the weather report from my former home in Alaska that it was 9 below zero there today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here