Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erykah0708

My home needs serious curb appeal!

erykah0708
18 years ago

Help! I am not skilled in the art of landscaping and don't know what to do with our yard. We live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood and we need some serious curb appeal.

here is our home.

{{gwi:1262390}}

One of the smaller japanese boxwoods is already dying even though its only been in for a year.

our "walkway" has been choked out by this horrid grass that I can't figure out where it came from. We have St. Augustine , but this is something else

{{gwi:1262394}}
I tried to keep up with it but over the "winter" it just choked everything out. Even my little shrubs that I'd hoped would be appealing by now are gone. I did plant some mexican heather not realizing that it would look this bad in the winter, but I hear that if I cut it back it will return in a few weeks.

SO, I need serious help! We are looking for more green & red plants to put some color. We also want plants & shrubs that will survive thru our mini-texas winters. I'm in Austin.

Posting pictures or sending me to galleries of others curb appeal landscaping jobs will help me, but at this point i'm lost. We have ALOT of clay and we've dug up at least 6 inches and layed down at least 4 layers of mulch in the past but we can't seem to keep the weeds out of the beds.

{{gwi:1262397}}
Thanks for any feedback & help.

Comments (4)

• erykah0708
    Original Author
    18 years ago

anyone ?

• cactus_dude
    18 years ago

Erykah-

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to landscaping, but here are a few suggestions.

Nerium oleander- lots of varieties with blooms in various shades of pink, red, white, etc.

Some type of small-ish palm tree, such as Chamaerops humilis (Mediterranean Fan Palm) or Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill Palm).

Many agaves have beautiful bluish coloration, such as Agave americana, Agave colorata or Agave parryi v. truncata.

You may also want to check out Yucca Do Nursery (Texas) and High Country Gardens (Santa Fe) for more ideas.

Good luck!

cd

• erykah0708
    Original Author
    18 years ago

any other suggestions? i'm getting the urge to rip all the bushes out and start over!

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    18 years ago

Erykah,

I live north of you in Temple. I'm taking a MG class right now. I have some suggestions, why don't you email me back and let's chat.

Xtal

Sponsored