Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lankajl

Moving to Sparks/Reno, NV

lankajl
19 years ago

I am a new gardener from Nebraska who has been living in Washington for about a year now. But now we are moving to Reno! Where can I get some good basic info about growing in this area? What IS XERISCAPING? I am so confused now. Please help!

Comments (3)

• jason_reno
    19 years ago

Hi lankajl,

As a former Iowan, let me first say, "Get used to brown."

Xeriscaping is the use of native or drought-tolerant plants in landscaping to minimize the use of irrigation. However, you can create some very lush looking gardens, don't think you're stuck with rocks and junipers.

First, Reno has hundreds of micro-climates depending on elevation, sun exposure, wind prone areas, local fauna, and local soil. Knowing exactly where you will live will help with other planning.

Get the High Country Gardens catalog and read it. That has been one of the single most helpful sources in my beginner Xeriscaping education.

There is a book called "Gardening in Nevada" at the local book stores. Be warned that it also covers Las Vegas, so don't think you can grow palms in Reno.

Look up the University of Nevada Extension Office and spend some time talking to the people at the horticulture desk. They have a lot of local information.

Most likely, you will have to amend your soil. There is a lot of horse manure that is available for cheap or free, but be sure it isn't fresh.

You will need some kind of drip irrigation system. Thoughtful design of your lanscape and irrigation will save you much trouble later on. You want zones of plants with similar water requirements, with one or more seperate irrigation lines to each zone.

Lawns are the most water-thirsty thing you can have. Look into buffalo grass or blue grama grass.

It takes at least 2-3 years for a xeriscape to get established. Xerix plants tend to put their priority in growing roots, then they'll think about foliage.
    Those are some of the highlights. Feel free to e-mail me with more questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens

• lankajl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WOW Jason! Thanks so much for that awesome info! Considering the fact that we will only be in the area for 2 - 3 years I don't want to make a big investment in plants I can't bring along with me. Any tips for container gardening in the area? I am planning on bringing in two roses, some stargazer lilies and some irises already since I already have all those. I'll get the magazine but do you have more advice about the container idea?

~ lankajl

• jason_reno
    19 years ago

Talk to the extension office about rose varieties. (775-784-4848, ask for horticulture) Roses do well here, but I think some varieties are much better than others.

Keeping containers watered will be your biggest problem. Use water-retaining crystals in your potting mix. Set up a drip system to water your containers. You can get kits that include a timer that attaches to a hose and all of the tubing and emitters. It is not unusual for a pot in full sun and wind to need daily or even twice-daily watering.

Don't set containers where the wind could knock them over.

Remember that your containers will look like salad bars to all the rabbits, squirrels and deer (and mustangs, depending on where you live).

Sponsored