Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
creating a wall of plants, blocking neighbors

Posted by Lmason2013 10, coastal, so cal (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:18

Help! We want to block out a new neighbor that built a new home up against the wall we share. Their lot is higher in elevation than ours, so it feels like they are looking down into our "pit" lot. I'm hoping to create a wall of dense FAST GROWING foliage or bush that can grow as much as 20 feet or so high, but that won't litter in our pool. It will be planted in the planter wall three feet from the edge of our pool that runs along that entire wall. I have been told privet or PODOCARPUS HENKELII might work, but I don't know anything about these plants. Do they litter? I don't want something with sharp leaves. I was also hoping for something relatively tropical. The rest of our property is palms and camelias, fern palms, etc. Is there a better suggestion? I need lots of suggestions for a san diego coastal climate. Thanks in advance for your expertise!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: creating a wall of plants, blocking neighbors

I don't really have a specific suggestion, since I am definitely not in your area, but I do know that you have much to choose from being in that blessed climate.

BUT, the only plant that does not litter is a PLASTIC one. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. Really, you have to think about the type and timing of the litter rather than just the quantity.

In that respect, most of your more tropical-looking plants produce fewer large pieces of litter that may be easier to scoop out of the pool than small leaves and cones (of Podocarpus, for example). Then again, many of your large-leaved plants would not create the type of barrier you desire...

Just some food for thought... And my oft-repeated advice to check some other forums on this site that actually get some traffic, since this particular one is pretty dead...

o
RE: creating a wall of plants, blocking neighbors

I planted Podocarpus henkelii along along one side of my lot and my neighbor planted Podocarpus gracilior and I noticed her plants grew a lot faster than the henkelii, so when they started building a house along my back lot, I decided to go with the gracilior and am much happier with their speed in growth. They are soft leaved also, moreso than the henklii and also a lighter green. I planted them 4 feet apart which is somewhat close but I wanted privacy quickly. I started with 15g two years ago and they are about 10 - 12 feet tall now. This is the first year I did some pruning in front as I want them to grow wider than round.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here