Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_buck

Where has all my 'full sun' gone....?

Heather Buck
14 years ago

So, I planted what I thought would be good plants for my area, in the hot desert of Utah. I planted Russian Sage, Mexican Sage, Penstemons, etc. However, I planted them in the fall. I believe I remember at the time that the area I planted them in had lots of sun. This was on the south side of the property, on the northfacing side of a tall fence. ItÂs a long, very narrow strip about 2 feet wide, and the fence is about 6 feet tall or so.

More experienced gardeners may know what happened next  For the rest of fall, winter and now into March, they receive no sunshine, since they are cast in the shadow of the fence and the house south of the fence. I trust sunshine will return. IÂm guessing for about 3 months. However, what IÂm not sure about is whether or not my plants are still alive. I planted a juniper, skyrocket brand  I can tell itÂs still alive and about the same height when I planted it. But I canÂt tell if the sages or penstemons or hyssop are alive. Also echinacea looks a little crispy and brown. Any one able to hazard a guess if these plants are still alive? I will try to take pictures at some point to show. Please donÂt laugh at my shameÂ.. : )

Comments (3)

Sponsored