Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_butterfly_lady

Nurseries in Albuquerque

the_butterfly_lady
20 years ago

Hello Albuquerqueians,

I'm coming to Alb this week and plan to visit some of your nurseries while there to bring some great stuff back to Alamogordo for my butterfly garden. I'm always on the lookout for great native host & nectar plants.

I only have 1/2 day for plant shoppin :-(

I understand that plantsofthesouthwest.com has a nursery there - have any of you been there? Is it worth my time?

I'm looking for the best nursery to find lots of great stuff in just a little bit of time (no time for shopping around.)

This trip up there, I'm giving up my normal visit to the MALL!!! Oh, and I don't really know my way around town, I'll be just off I-25, somewhere around Gibson. I can find my way around that part of town, but that's about it (I can find the malls, Kirtland AFB, and a few hotels)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flying Flowers - my site

Comments (8)

• SteveNMZ8a
    20 years ago

That is a good place to shop for the native stuff. Osuna Nursery (on Osuna) has some interesting stuff too, and Bernardo Beach. If you pop over here to Cruces, check out Enchanted Gardens.

• the_butterfly_lady
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Steve,
    I go to Cruces more than Alburquerque (movies, restaraunts, shopping, etc, have alot to be desired here in Alamogordo.)
    Where is Enchanted Gardens? I Don't think I've ever been off Telshore Blvd.

• SteveNMZ8a
    20 years ago

Its on Griggs just west of Alameda (near the downtown mall). The owner writes a column for the local paper. Maybe wait until after april 15, she told me she would have a new shipment by then.

• the_butterfly_lady
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Steve,
    Thanks for your suggestion of Osuna nursery. I went there and Plants of the Southwest nursery. I was there friday, when it was cold and rainy (not the BEST plant shoppin' weather, but no crowds!) I brought a trunk full of plants home to Alamogordo.
    I think I like Plants of the Southwest best, and the people there were definatly more friendly and helpful.

Now if only the rain would stop so I can get everything planted! How often do you say THAT in New Mexico? :-)
    Too bad I didn't plant BEFORE the rain came.

• SteveNMZ8a
    20 years ago

Yeah I like Plants of the SW; you can get those little 2" pots too. I heard Alb was really soggy! well we sure need the rain and supposed to get more next weekend.

• the_butterfly_lady
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The 2" pots are so neat! I got a mess of em (filled up 2 boxes.) I'm saving the pots for seed starting - I don't have any like that (just those darn cell packs)
    I also like the price of the 2 inchers -vs- the 1 galloners. Heck, they'll grow just the same.

I think I did make one mistake - I bought a desert 4 o'clock. My butterfly garden does get watered (twice a week) and didn't realize that this plant spreads 6'wide. Maybe I'll just stick it in the front yard (no watering there.) I'm afraid it might be a little TOO drought tolerant for my well tended/ammended garden.
    I also got these cute little Indian Pinks. I know they come from the cooler mountain areas, but I hadda give em a shot (maybe a lil afternoon shade.)
    I never did find any milkweed. Plants of SW told me it's too early for plants yet (they don't grow them all year?) I gotta have plants, no time for seeds. Of course, I haven't seen any Monarchs around here (tsk)

• joeygirlz51
    19 years ago

Greetings Fellow Plant Lovers

I'm on a quest for a pink flowering Smoke Tree. Does anyone know where I can get one that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Seems all the ones around Albuquerque have purple blossoms. I'd appreciate any information as to where to get one. I checked at Rowlands and they only have the purple ones, same with Alameda Nursery.

thanks everyone

• joeygirlz51
    19 years ago

Hello Plant People:

I found my Smoke Tree at Plants of the South West. It's a pink one with green leaves. It now sits proudly in my front yard.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES