Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much watering here in Albuquerque?

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 21:43

I have several fruit trees and a variety of flowering plants including roses that are coming back due to the warm winter we've had. All the plants were put in the ground last spring and summer, with the exception of a dwarf apple tree that just went into the ground a week or two ago, and the roses that have been here for years before we arrived. How much watering do these different plants need since we aren't getting any precipitation? My fruit trees have 6 inch "moats" around them and can be soaked pretty well at each watering. The plum trees are blossoming, as is the little apricot tree. The plants all get full sun. I still remember last April's snow. Thanks for helping out a gardener new to the Southwest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much watering here in Albuquerque?

It's still pretty cold at night, but I've watered a few times already when I'm pretty sure it's NOT going to freeze overnight. I have a soaker & drip system and I let them run for about an hour, or until I see that the area they're in is well watered.

I probably won't program the system until our night-time temps stay in the upper 30's/low 40's. That's when I start up my regular/programmed watering schedule. (usually early April)

My iris, sweet peas, and day lillies have started active growth already, so I try to water them once or twice a week as temps allow. And I try to do it around Noon-ish, so the ground has time dry somewhat before nightfall.

I'll water more often as it warms up, and move the watering time to earlier in the day - before sunrise in the Summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here