Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roots3003

Watering Question

roots3003
15 years ago

I'm new to outdoor gardening in this AZ heat so I have a couple watering questions. My irrigation system is not working, so I will be watering with a hose by laying it on the ground next to the plants.

I'm just wondering how often I should be wateriing using this method. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here are ther plants I have:

queen palm (planted in November)

canary date palm(planted in December)

mexican fan plam(very small, planted in December)

some oleander bushes

agave

large jade plants(in pots)

rosemary

bird of paradise(planted in February)

spider plants(planted in Febryary)

madagascar dragon tree(not really an outdoors plant)

small grapefruit tree(planted in December)

umbrella tree(planted this month)

some cactus I found behind the house

all of the above plants get full southern exposure all day. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Generally all of these should be watered deeply every two weeks. This mean five gallons for smaller plants to up to 20 gallons for larger trees. Once these plants become established, 2 yrs. on average, the frequency can be reduced. Rosemary, Bird of P, agave, and cactus do not like wet feet so water every 3-4 weeks all the time. Remember as the plant becomes established the root system will grow out from the stem so place your water accordingly. Keep this info in mind when setting up your zones of the irrigations system. Oh, Jades will sunburn so provide shade during the summer and don't over water. You will know when to water them because they will become less of a rich emerald green.

• jam8952
    14 years ago

I also have a question about watering and gardening.I live in zone 8 in alabama.And its starting to feel like spring downhere now.But im new to plant gardening and so far I have been having bad luck with plants.Starting off with last year in the summer I bought a gardenia bush and planted in my yard.Well as a couple of months went on it started looking sick and then this past winter when we had the very cold air that blastered threw here in the winter it started turning a brown black color.And everyday when I go outside and look at it it just looks sicker and sicker.I will just have to wait and see what happens.Next I bought a sweet azalea and it looks like its not going to make it.And then next I bought a carolina allspice and it looks like its not going to make it I dont understand what im doing wrong I water them everyday like im suppose too.So I have all of these reasons running threw my head why my plants keep dieing could it be that im watering them to much or not watering them enough or could it be that my yard just doesn't have the right kind of soil type for any plants to survive.Because everytime I put plants in my yard in the ground they end up dieing So im thinking maybe my yard does not have the right kind of soil type for these plants or any plants to survive.I was looking forward to having a beatiful fragrant yard full of plants and flowers but it looks like it not going to happen.Because my yard probably just doesn't have the right soil type for plants maybe.Can anyone please tell me why this is happening.

• hotdrysunny
    13 years ago

I'm going to take a stab at this - even though we couldn't be further apart in gardening conditions. . . Alabama and Arizona may be close to each other alphabetically, but certainly not when it comes to climate!

you said you water every day like you're "supposed to." Were you told by some gardener-person to water those plants every day? You may be watering too much, or not deeply enough when you do water.

I know that here in AZ, the most common reason for plants dying is overwatering (even though it may be one billion degrees out!) and that might be an issue with yours, too, as you seem to be having the same problems with different plants.

You probably want to get a good general gardening manual that describes the types of plants you want in your garden - I use the Sunset Western Gardening book, there's got to be something similar for your neck of the woods - and really read up on what the soil and watering requirements are for the plants you are putting in.

Soil could be an issue, but different plants have different soil needs - some must have good drainage while others like moist, heavy soil. More likely than not, you just need to dig in a little soil amendment, maybe a little fertilizer. . . whatever the plants in your area need.

Also, light and heat requirements are different for different plants, I imagine it's pretty humid there right now (at least for someone like me) and that will affect how much water the plants need - if they are absorbing humidity from the air they may not need as much watering.

Finally, what kind of plants ARE growing in your area? Does your neighbor have flowering shrubs? Are there already some plants growing in your yard? find out what they are, then you can figure out what other kind of plants need the same soil and water conditions as the ones that are already growing there.

That's about all I have. . . I really think you may be watering too much, but that's just my best guess!!! Hopefully someone from your zone can respond with more specific information for you!
    good luck!!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I water them everyday like im suppose too

WRONG! You should almost never water plants every day.

Buy a moisture meter and use it. Test several areas in the bed.

Do not water plants if the meter reads "WET". Let the soil get into the moist to slightly on the dry side range on the meter, then thoroughly soak them and wait until they dry out.

That should change your luck.

And look up Alabama Master Gardeners. They will have all kinds of advice for eyou area.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x