Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Albuquerque CHEAP native shrubs--help

Posted by Reyesuela z5 NM (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 23:13

I need to make $400 for shrubs and $600 for trees stretch as far as I can for *starting* to landscape a community open space. The shrubs we're looking for are mostly native small-scale stuff, 3-6' wide and tall (I have a list, but it's looooong), along with some lilacs and other stuff. (We're in the mts in an extra wet microclime.) It's a BIG space, so even 150 shrubs would be swallowed in a heartbeat. What are some good inexpensive nursuries to go looking--preferably those with one-year warranties? I'm not terribly optimistic about Wal-mart/Lowes/HD having everything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Albuquerque CHEAP native shrubs--help

I would recommend Bernardo Beach Nursery (Judith Phillips place) for the best quality and prices of native and xeric plants. Also try Santa Ana for good selection and good quality with no sales tax (it's on the Indian Res.).

o

Plants of the Southwest!! Good selection of natives and more natives....dont know about the warranty tho.

o

Plants of the southwest does *not* have warranties. I don't think santa ana does either. That said, I've never bought a dud from either place. I doubt your going to get 150 shrubs for 400 dollars (2.50 each?). Native plants tend to cost more than non-natives.

o

Thanks! I wasn't actually expecting that--I'm hoping for $4 a shrub, if possible. I just mean that I can use as many as I can get my hands on. *ggg*

o

I try to avoid Plants of the SW. Think they're way high.

Buy what you can at Walmart....they'll have some.

Also think that Bernardo Beach has the best prices. Last year $4.97 for 1 gal container. They're not in the new phone book. Anyone been there this spring?

Santa Ana second best for price. You might also talk to the mgr about a donation. They have a giant greenhouse on the pueblo where they sell commercially. I was also able to negotiate a discount when I landscaped a new house. Several years ago, however.

o

Where is Bernardo Beach? I see it sponsoring garden shows on PBS and I assumed it was in Southern NM. Is it in Albq?

o

I just visited the Bernardo Beach location on Arno St. Don't be fooled, the plants are in the backyard of a small house. The man I talked to was helpful, and the price right!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here