Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping my garden clear of pests

Posted by Littlesparrow1733 New Mexico (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 23:27

I have a vegetable garden in my back yard but I apparently can't keep the rattlesnakes, coyotes and rabbits away! The rabbits are eating everything, the rattlesnakes are hiding in my bushes and the coyotes are attacking my animals.
Anybody have any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping my garden clear of pests

My first piece of advice is for you to acknowledge you have invaded their territory and now you have to play by their rules. You can spend enormous amounts of energy fighting them and getting nowhere. You'd be better off outthinking them and trying to find some form of compromise.
Raised beds, really raised beds, at least 24" minimum, 36" is better, and stiff wire mesh coverings will slow down the rabbits. Hog panels can be manipulated into good bunny barriers. What kind of rabbit do you have? Desert cottontails or ? They're hungry this time of year and are coming into breeding season. Do you have the funds and the room to keep a bale of alfalfa hay and a salt lick way out in the back 40 somewhere? Give them something to eat away from your garden.
Keep an eye on the coyotes, they'll raid a veggie garden too. While we're on coyotes, what kind of animal of are they attacking?
Yes rattlesnakes hide in bushes, that's what they do. Have you tried turning the hose on them to make want to leave? They're probably hanging around because of the rabbits. Of course you might have pack rats too, just as tasty!
Are the critters coming up for water perhaps?

o
RE: Keeping my garden clear of pests

We have desert cottontails and jack rabbits. I will take your suggestion with the Hog panels and try raising my garden :)
If that doesn't work then I will try the salt lick because that is an amazing idea! I never would have thought about it. I had my father gave me a suggestion about the rattlesnakes. He told me to either get a cat or try to find a king snake or bull snake somewhere. He said the king snakes will make sure to keep the rattlers away. I'll get the cat to be safe :) Thank you so much for the advice! I have a little girl and nieces and nephews helping me in my garden all the time so that's why I'm so concerned.

Oh and the coyotes attacked my Australian Shepherd Mix a week ago and I don't want that happening to my 2 year old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here