Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Tomatoes In The Desert

Posted by sherilou_2010 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 9:42

What are your methods to prevent transplant shock for tomato plants that you've started? I've found that the intense desert heat, high winds and cold nights are absolute misery for tomatoes.

Also... please list any other tomato growing tricks that you have learned for producing tomatoes in the desert. I really would love to get my beefsteak tomatoes to produce this year... thank you so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Tomatoes In The Desert

Well you're right that the desert heat, wind, and cold nights are hard on transplants, and I would add intense sunlight and low humidity!

I live above the desert proper, where of the above list the only thing we don't get at transplanting time is quite so much heat, but the sunlight is even more intense due to the elevation (around 7,000)....So here's what I do:

1. First of all make absolutely sure the plants are fully hardened off by setting them in their pots outside for a week or two. Gradually move them from a sheltered spot to a more exposed one over this time.
2. If possible choose cooler, overcast (rainy would be best!) weather for transplanting, and do it in the evening, certainly not in the heat of the midday.
3. For an added boost experiment with some kind of row/plant cover. I use those clear 5-gallon water containers with the bottom cut out, slipped down over the plant with a bamboo pole stuck down through the mouth and into the soil to keep it from blowing away.

I've never lost a plant following these basic considerations, and I've seen plenty of other people's transplants wilting away. This underscores the importance of the first step -- hardening off.

Good luck with your tomatoes this year!

o

The 5 gallon water container trick is perfect... thank you!!! My plants will love that at night and on really windy days. :)

o

on the right track. Our big beef were 7 feet tall and 8 ft around with 100s of to's. But ours were in the patio surrounded by 12 inch thick 4 ft tall stucco walls and the house on one side. A wall makes a huge difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here