Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldmikey23

Hesperia Anybody?

oldmikey23
20 years ago

Hi all....I just moved to Hesperia and was looking to get some info on what grows well here. We want lots of flowers and trees, right now all we have is a lot full of sand! Any suggestions?..........Thanks, Mike

Comments (6)

• cali4dawn
    20 years ago

Welcome to the desert! I now live in Lucerne Valley but recently moved from NC. Very different! I'm anxious to see what answers you get.

• oldmikey23
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks and hello to you cali4dawn, I too am awaiting and anxious to see what replies I get.

• oldmikey23
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mmmmmm, seems no one lives in or near the beautiful city of Hesperia..lol. I guess I'll just have to see what I can get going on my own!

• maayan
    19 years ago

oldmikey23 Shalom,

I'm in a hotter zone than you guys but I've been trying to find a way to fit some hydrangea in. You can check them out, and any other plants with pics and your zone posted, in the alphabetical list offered on the forum page of this site.

Japanese iris is a startlingly beautiful bush with delicate flowers. Um, a couple of fruit trees, mulberry maybe, great for shade, I don't know how well nut trees grow there but pecan and walnut will give you a lot of shade as well. They're leaves are superb for fall mulching It's also wise to plant a water conscious garden and, if it interests you, put your kitchen and tub/sink pipes underground emptying out to one of the trees, WHAMMO! Congrats on your move and new space! Good luck (bamboo?)

• JoshuaTree
    19 years ago

Old Mikey:
    I was born and raised in Victorville, and after 66+ years I now live in Apple Valley. If you want some good fast growing trees I can suggest Leylandis. They are an evergreen. I have 26 of them around my property. I don't spend much time on this forum, mostly in the tractor forum.

Welcome to the High Desert.

JT

• quercus1
    19 years ago

Hi all
    Welcome to the High Desert
    Long time resident of Hesperia and landscape designer. Have an acre fully landscaped and orchard. Here is a short list. Trees: Sequoia giganteum, Quercus lobata, Quercus engelmannii, Quercus douglasii, Fraxinus oxycarpa raywood, Fraxinus velutina common and modesto, Cercidium floridum if protected, Chilopsis linearis, Prosipsis glandulosa, various species of Pinus.
    Shrubs and accents: Leucophyllum frutescens, Larrea tridentata, Buddleia marrubifolia, Caesalpinia gilliesii, Ribes aureum, Cercis canadensis, many species of Agave and Yuccas, Cacti, Salvia greggii, Salvia Clevelandii, various penstemons, Oenothera berlandieri, Pennisetum setaceum, Perovskia atriplicifolia, various junipers.
    While many people plant leylandii as wind breaks and they are better than Arizona cypress, they still are prone to borer damage. The Sequoia is a good replacement for them.
    Fruit and nut trees do well most years. Borers are a problem with peach,necterine,plum and cherry. Apples do well when we get enough chill. Apricots are good most years. Use a dormant oil spray.
    Avoid a lawn or keep it small and close to the house. Use drip irrigation whenever possible. On most plants amend the soil and irrigate early morning.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus