Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Salvaging Oleanders

Posted by timmygrover Las Vegas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 18:15

Don't laugh please! :D I don't have a lot of experience gardening, but I've rented a house with three oleanders in the back that don't look like they've ever been pruned. I decided to give it a try and cut one of them back, and quickly realized that I have no idea what I'm doing.

In the pic I've posted, the oleander I tried my handiwork on is on the left, there are two left I haven't had the guts to touch until I get some advice.

I'd like them to become tall, mostly vertical bushes, or maybe a nice tree or something. Hopefully I'm not being so vague I can't be helped!

Any aid would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Salvaging Oleanders

They are almost impossible to kill, even if you chainsaw them to the ground, so don't worry.

If you want a multiple trunk "tree" oleander, all you have to do is prune out the short stuff from the base, and the side branches, leaving as many long branches as you want. Also remove any dead stubs.

It will take constant, but light, maintenance because they tend to sprout shoots up from the base.

o

As a landlord, I would be upset with you for butchering landscape plants without permission. Did you talk to your landlord before attempting this?

o

To Timmy Grover, dont worry about the landlord, it appears you've made an "improvement" by pruning the oleander on the left. Its blooming nicely the others aren't. I live in Texas and have always had oleanders and they "need" to be pruned, trimmed, they will thrive. If you want them as vertical trees prune the smallers shoots, limbs. You are doing a good job !

o

I agree. :) very nice job indeed, just prune them halfway once the blooms are gone and voila. Oleander 101.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here