Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthworms in our soil?

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 12, 06 at 19:02

I have been adding compost and aged manure to my fruit trees, roses and vegetable beds without seeing but a few earthworms. Someone told me that our soil gets so hot here in Albuquerque (I have full sun all day) that it's too hot for the worms. Does this sound right to you all, or do I just need to wait until my soil is built up better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthworms in our soil?

It does not get to hot for earthworms! I have an abundance of big, fat ones here in Phoenix. We had 96F here today. We will have 116 in June and likely 118. It has been up to 122 here before. I never put any poisons on the soil. If the soil is too dry they may be deeper. Keep adding compost and no chemicals. The worms are there waiting for food and water.
Happy gardening.

o

I moved onto my lot last Nov and the only place I have found earthworms is in two of my three flower beds that have organic materials incorporated and that get watered fairly regularly. Last winter I ground up all of the leaves and let them lay on the soil surface and I have added compost. I did not find many but they are there. One of the flower beds is in full sun but still had some earthworms. I'll add more compost and will mulch with leaves again this winter. I added a short fence to help keep the leaves from blowing away. I'm in Bosque Farms - a little cooler sometimes than parts of Albuquerque.

o

So, once again, the message is patience, patience, patience. Thank you for your help. I will keep adding organic materials and wait for them to come.

o

Been doing a lot of digging around in the garden beds this weekend and have found plenty of worms - so I'd say they're around - probably just waiting for your dirt to taste better, hehe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here