Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvlindsey

Ideas for Small area in front of house

lvlindsey
15 years ago

I have a 1 1/2' deep x 8' long area in front of my house which sits between the sidewalk and my front porch which is raised about 1' from the dirt area. The porch has a decorative metal railing. Originally I had a ground cover planted in this area and it became problematic because all of the garbage and dead leaves kept blowing into the plant and it was difficult to clean out. The area has 3 low-flow drip heads already installed, spaced out about 2' apart. I would like to plant something here that won't catch all of the neighbor's garbage, but I also don't want the area to look sparse since my raised porch is just plain old concrete. Other plants in my front yard include rose bush, purple sagebush, and some feathery pine-like shrub with bean pods and tiny yellow flowers. I was thinking about planting three climbing rose bushes which could trellis across the porch railing, but I'm not sure there is enough room for me to plant them. I'm not a big fan of the climbing jasmine which was also suggested. I was also thinking about enclosing the area with a border and turning it into an herb garden, but I know nothing about growing herbs. If anyone has ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate your help. I can also send you pictures of the area if you desire. Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures