Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for Small area in front of house

Posted by lvlindsey NV - Las Vegas - 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 20:53

I have a 1 1/2' deep x 8' long area in front of my house which sits between the sidewalk and my front porch which is raised about 1' from the dirt area. The porch has a decorative metal railing. Originally I had a ground cover planted in this area and it became problematic because all of the garbage and dead leaves kept blowing into the plant and it was difficult to clean out. The area has 3 low-flow drip heads already installed, spaced out about 2' apart. I would like to plant something here that won't catch all of the neighbor's garbage, but I also don't want the area to look sparse since my raised porch is just plain old concrete. Other plants in my front yard include rose bush, purple sagebush, and some feathery pine-like shrub with bean pods and tiny yellow flowers. I was thinking about planting three climbing rose bushes which could trellis across the porch railing, but I'm not sure there is enough room for me to plant them. I'm not a big fan of the climbing jasmine which was also suggested. I was also thinking about enclosing the area with a border and turning it into an herb garden, but I know nothing about growing herbs. If anyone has ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate your help. I can also send you pictures of the area if you desire. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for Small area in front of house

Since you are considering roses and with your other plants I am going to assume it is sunny?

I think climbing roses would be really pretty and seems like enough room to me.

I was also thinking a mixed shrub border...I was thinking something dense, might stop the "Garbage"

Many Herbs are easy to grow and don't like extra amendments. There are so many dif. forms and types. Would you be using the herbs for cooking or maybe as medicinals or potpouri? Maybe you just want to grow herbs for the flowers or scent? Many herbs are nice to be able to just pick a bit of and throw into a tall glass of ice tea or lemonade, while sitting on your front porch! An Herb Garden will take a bit more upkeep to keep it looking nice then a mixed shrub border. You could do taller herbs in the back. Actually if you did a mixture of Lavenders, Rosemary, Sages... that would be a mixture of scent, herbs and shrubs. You could still do a climbing rose as well and with your interest in herbs, might want to look for one that produces lots of hips for making tea. Also you might ask yourself if you sould like to attract birds, Hummers, Butterflys or how much you want to water.
How nice to have a front porch! You could also put a decoritive low fence that would keep the garbage out. As for the leaves..that is free mulch!

Also another option would be Pineapple Guava. I can not give you much details, but had done some reserch and they can be pruned to a shrub shape, produce edible fruit and nice flowers, are not deciduous. I just planted some this year and will see how they go.

I always have a hard time getting a finished look and found a great book: California Home Landscaping by Roger Holmes & Lance Walheim it has pictures, descriptions and plant lists for many dif. garden beds... A good herb book is Practical Herb Garden byt Jessica Houdret. If you are near a Borders or Barnes and Nobel, might be worth seeing if they have and take a quick peek.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here