Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Smoke Tree

Posted by joeygirlZ51 7bNM (joeyz51@comcast.net) on
Wed, Apr 28, 04 at 21:06

Greetings Fellow Plant Lovers
I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I'm on a quest for a pink flowering Smoke Tree. Does anyone know where I can get one that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Seems all the ones around Albuquerque have purple blossoms. I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me. I checked at Rowlands and Alameda Nurseries and they only have purple ones.

thanks everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Smoke Tree

Hello:

I found one at Plants of the South West here in Albuquerque. It's a tiny tot, but is doing well so we are very hopeful that this will turn into a beautiful mature tree. Thanks to all who offered me great advice.

Joey

o

Yes, I got my Smoke Tree. Its turned out to be quite the bush. It has grown so much since I planted it 3 years ago. It is sprawling, but hasn't really shown too many blooms as of yet. I hope this year will be different. With so little water in the area I'm assuming this is the reason. Also the water we have is so mineral laden it is hard on the roots so that too could be a factor. Anyone got any ideas?

o

Thank you Don, I came to the same conclusion about the immaturity of the plant. Its got a few more years before it will be 6 feet, so my guess it may not show blossoms this year either. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I always appreciate advice from a fellow Canadian :)

o

I have a pink smoke tree and it is dying. I cut the growth from the bottom that looked like water sprouts. could I have killed it from that?

o

We have them growing in a couple of places naturally here in Central Texas but they do like to be a understory tree. The brutal sun is a but much for them. I don't think the mineral laden water would be the issue. We are hard as can be here. Saying that, I have had a hard time getting it started. I grow things on the hard side and it might need more bottom land or a bit more comfortable a spot then I am willing to give it. I see them growing in town all over the place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here